• ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    0407121650-00.jpg
    My Uncle gave me a mini cannon. He said it could be shot, one the side of the barrel says .45cal. Anyone ever mess with these things? I think it would be pretty neat to shot it, but would have no idea what the load or anything would be on it.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I would start off with about 60grs 2F blackpowder and work up from there. If you want to pack some wadding in there use a little toilet paper,one square should do it. Do not over do wadding, too much and it becomes an obstuction. That looks like a CVA "Old Ironsides cannon, if so it should be good for a bit more powder. I have a 1/3 scale Parrot barrel from South Bend Replicas and my current signal load is 480 grs 1F blackpowder with 1/2 sheet paper towel for wad. Makes a nice boom. If you are not familiar with blackpowder these measurement are by volume not by weight. Go buy a blackpowder adjustable measure and have a good time.

A great source of information on cannons is the catalog from South Bend Replicas. Not only does it show what is available from them it contains a good deal of info on loading and firing cannons. One of the best reading catalogs I have ever had.
    http://www.southbendreplicas.com/index.htm

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    OK thanks! Ya Ive never done anything with black powder before so I think it would be kinda neat. I know this may sound like a total bone head question but will I need to buy some sort of fuse for it as well? Im assuming the powder goes in first, then projectile? Thanks for your help!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most I've seen use cannon fuse. I used to know where t get some, but that bait and tackle shop closed many years ago now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm no expert. That could be a charge hole that you touch off with a match.

Still looks like it'd be fun to play with.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm no expert. That could be a charge hole that you touch off with a match.

Still looks like it'd be fun to play with.

Thats kinda what i was thinkin :D

Yea it very well could be just to touch a match to. I bet those longer BBQ grill matches would work pretty good.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Most I've seen use cannon fuse. I used to know where t get some, but that bait and tackle shop closed many years ago now.

Yes you want to use fuse. Place fuse in hole, dump powder charge, then add wadding use a dowell rod to pack it down. Cut your fuse so there is about 1/2 inch sticking out top of barrel. I use waterproof cannon fuse that I get at a local gun shop. I have seen rolls of it at gun shows. I have also bought fuse at fireworks store, it is usually thinner than the stuff I use, but works in a pinch. You can also order it from Dixie Gun Works. You can also get the powder measure there. If you lived closer I would meet up with you and shoot our cannons together, but looks like we are at opposite ends of the state.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes you want to use fuse. Place fuse in hole, dump powder charge, then add wadding use a dowell rod to pack it down. Cut your fuse so there is about 1/2 inch sticking out top of barrel. I use waterproof cannon fuse that I get at a local gun shop. I have seen rolls of it at gun shows. I have also bought fuse at fireworks store, it is usually thinner than the stuff I use, but works in a pinch. You can also order it from Dixie Gun Works. You can also get the powder measure there. If you lived closer I would meet up with you and shoot our cannons together, but looks like we are at opposite ends of the state.

Do they sale fuse that small? I didnt see any on the website may have to do some more digging on that. You think it would be ok to shoot a projectile from it?

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Do they sale fuse that small? I didnt see any on the website may have to do some more digging on that. You think it would be ok to shoot a projectile from it?

You could shoot a patched round ball from it. Hard to get any kind of accuracy, smooth bore, elevation adjustment is crude. I just use mine to make noise.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    LOL. We were looking at the Dixie site and the GOLF BALL SIZED CANNON! I was speculating that those Dern cattle were surely up to something, just massing their bovine troops on our fencerows and watching us. I figured it was about time we declared war on the cows with a preemptive golf ball strike. Then maybe Canada. Same tactics, Just watching us. "How's it going, eh?".

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

I used to have one mounted to a flat-top party pontoon boat we had good times on in college. We used to pack tight wads of newspaper down the bore, spray a bit of starting fluid (ether) in the fuse hole and touch a match to the hole.

HUGGGGGGGEEEE BOOOMMMMMM! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:Real crowd pleaser kind of stuff!!!!!

The paper would disintegrate upon firing, so nothing really came out of it but noise and a shockwave!

Might try something like that to try it out. It's safe, easy and cheap. :)

Top Bottom