• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mine just arrived today and I think I'll like them. They do make things a little sharper, but far away stuff is a little blurry. Since my main objective was to be able to see the sights more clearly on old milsurp rifles, I think they'll help. Heck, your target is supposed to be kinda fuzzy anyway right?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got mine today also. I bought the 1.0 diopter. I think my Spits are a 1.5X. Just in my basement I checked them both. The front sight is pretty much the same with both pairs. Not super sharp, but sharp enough. The target that was about 12' away was more in focus with the Elvex than with the Spits.

I have to blur the left lens and test it again since I was closing my left eye just now. And that does affect the right eye some. First look though and I think they may be better than anything else I have tried so far. And I have tried pretty much everything.:)

And yes, DH, man are you old. Can't imagine being 59! You are well over a half century old!:):

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    And yes, DH, man are you old. Can't imagine being 59! You are well over a half century old!:):

Hey, hey!!! Watch it youngin' or I'll turn you over my knee and give you a whuppin'!!! :xmad: LOL!

Glad you guys got your glasses.

I tried out the Spits sunglasses today, and they worked fine. Not as good (for me) as the Elvex, but it is nice to have some tinted glasses that I can use when I need them.

I got the 1.25X magnification, and while I can see the front sight well, everything else is slightly out of focus compared to when I use the 1.0 diopter Elvex glasses. Plus they are $30 compared to the $10 Elvex ones. I would say that I will probably continue to use them on sunny days, but I definitely like the Elvex glasses much better.

I was shooting a 10 yard Bill Drill today, and I had a hard time seeing my hits until I got closer to the target for pasting. I did not have that same problem with the Elvex.

I wish Elvex made a full-lens magnification set of sunglasses, but for some reason, they only make those crappy bifocal ones (which I absolutely hate). Oh well...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hey, hey!!! Watch it youngin' or I'll turn you over my knee and give you a whuppin'!!! :xmad: LOL!

Glad you guys got your glasses.

I tried out the Spits sunglasses today, and they worked fine. Not as good (for me) as the Elvex, but it is nice to have some tinted glasses that I can use when I need them.

I got the 1.25X magnification, and while I can see the front sight well, everything else is slightly out of focus compared to when I use the 1.0 diopter Elvex glasses. Plus they are $30 compared to the $10 Elvex ones. I would say that I will probably continue to use them on sunny days, but I definitely like the Elvex glasses much better.

I was shooting a 10 yard Bill Drill today, and I had a hard time seeing my hits until I got closer to the target for pasting. I did not have that same problem with the Elvex.

I wish Elvex made a full-lens magnification set of sunglasses, but for some reason, they only make those crappy bifocal ones (which I absolutely hate). Oh well...

Sounds good. I'll have to give the non tinted Elvex a try then. Appreciate the updates.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Have you tried clip-ons? I've been doing that since I started getting my glasses at ZenniOptical over a decade ago. Keep a pair in each car and my backpack. They may not work well with those wrap-around safety glasses though. I'd just order glasses through Zenni, too, (then you can get each eye customized as well) and the clip-ons are made to fit for like $4/pair extra. It would be < $20 total if you got frames that were < $10 like I do.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    To answer a question above, yes, when you tightly focus on the front sight, the distant target will be fuzzy even with young person eyes. It's physics & unless you use a columator / pinhole / Fresnel lens gadget there's no real way around it.

Now if you are interested in making the front sight of a rifle AND the target in focus, you can buy such a gadget from BJonesSights.com bjonessights.com - Control Panel - File Manager

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Have you tried clip-ons? I've been doing that since I started getting my glasses at ZenniOptical over a decade ago. Keep a pair in each car and my backpack. They may not work well with those wrap-around safety glasses though. I'd just order glasses through Zenni, too, (then you can get each eye customized as well) and the clip-ons are made to fit for like $4/pair extra. It would be < $20 total if you got frames that were < $10 like I do.

I strongly prefer wrap-around glasses for shooting in case a stray piece of lead hits me from an adjacent bay (actually happens fairly frequently when there are steel targets involved). I have not found any clip-ons that will work with wrap-around glasses. If anyone knows of any, I'd be interested in looking I guess, but in an active running sport like USPSA, they would have to clip on pretty tightly to prevent falling off. I would imagine that once you eyes are used to the tinted view, losing them suddenly in the middle of a stage would be somewhat blinding.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I had my boss ordered a pair of 1.0 for me. If it works out ok, I'm gonna buy couple more pairs myself.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    They did not make much range difference for me, but make good nightstand reading glasses.

Haha! Well, there you go!

What did not work for you?

I just gotta say however, if you can read with them, then you probably got the wrong diopter. You need to get the right pair where you can see the front sight. Most of us would need LESS magnification than we would use for reading.

I went to CVS, and tried on several pairs until I found the right magnification to be able to see my front sights at an arm's length difference, plus a few inches. Turned out to be 1.25X magnification, which turned out to be 1.0 diopters using the calculation that I posted earlier.

For reading, I am at 1.75 - 2.0X magnification. Big difference!

Top Bottom