• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I am looking at a used model 629 6 inch that is factory ported. The gun looks like it is about 90% not much wear or scratching great trigger. The guy said it had the firing pin and bushing replaced but didn't know why. I have several S&W and have never had a firing pin issue. Is this something that is common to the 629?

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I am looking at a used model 629 6 inch that is factory ported. The gun looks like it is about 90% not much wear or scratching great trigger. The guy said it had the firing pin and bushing replaced but didn't know why. I have several S&W and have never had a firing pin issue. Is this something that is common to the 629?

No - not common unless maybe it has had the crap shot out of it. Unlikely since it is a 44mag (expensive to shoot lest you reload). My bet is the pin was faulty and cracked - hey it happens to the best of them. With a new pin and if it locks up tight, cycles smoothly and the price is right then buy it. Smith will fix it free if anything goes wrong - best customer service around:yesway:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I have a SMITH & WESSON 629 POWERPORT that has a big single port. This 44 MAG is very accurate

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    My advice would be to pass on it, we don't know what he was shooting (if that was the cause of the pin/bushing replacement or not) and because there is no good reason to port a .44 Mag. revolver. It's not needed and it is a pain in the ass to keep the port/bore area clean. There are plenty of 29/629s out there to choose from.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Well I got it last night. 629 classic with powerport. Seems to shoot well and the trigger is great there is no visible wear on the cylinder locks up tight the gap in the forcing cone area is equal. opening the side plate it has had some nice work done inside so my guess is they changed the firing pin out when the trigger job was done.

Just some ammo I had in the loading room it grouped 2.5 at 25yrds and that was just playing. I have always wanted one and never could bring my self to get one. Had the money saved up for a varmint upper for the AR but I guess that will be on hold for awhile longer.

Ya just gota have toys :rockwoot:

Top Bottom