• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I loved trains growing up and my almost 2 year old is already big time into Thomas the Train. He got his first Thomas train set and he is fascinated by it! :D

We were at the Children's Museum the other day and I found the exact train I played with as a kid. (was my dads American Flyer) I still have this train at my parents house and it runs but its old. Pics of what I have below.

Who makes a good ready to run train these days. I had an American Flyer and knew of Lionel growing up. Now I search online and I see a bunch of makers but not many reviews or NEWB FAQs like we have here on INGO.

Help.

KzQkO.jpg

n7be7.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ah, now that is some fond memories. I still have my and my dad's Lionel sets.

I don't know much about the new stuff. If you are in the Indy area, check out Big Four Hobbies in Plainfield. They'll hook you up.

winstonsmith84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Middletown
    In O scale ( like pictured) I really don't know. Lionel is not the same as it used to be, but I suspect it is still a decent make. A quick googling shows some basic O scale sets for around $180-200. I used to do HO scale as a kid and teen, but cars and girls came along and I drifted away from modeling. I was more drawn to scenery, buildings and the more static aspects of the hobby. The trains were just part of the scene for me.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Here you go...
    This should help explain the scales for ya...
    Model Train Scales
    The following is a list of some of the most popular model train scales used in model railroading:G scale: (1:22.5) commonly used for garden layouts. Also called LGB scale. If you like working outdoors, doing real landscaping and gardening, this is the most likely model train scale you'll want to use.
    O Scale: (1:48) The locomotives are big and impressive and are a favorite of young and old "kids" alike. The 2-rail version runs on DC current. The O scale trains tend to dwarf the scenery unless you have a very large room for the layout, but they sure are fun to run!
    O27 Scale: This is also 1:48 scale, but the difference is in the tighter curves. (O27 track sections will make a 27" circle compared to the standard O scale track sections which will form a 31" circle.) Also, O27 rail is a little shorter and thinner than standard O scale. Lionel is the primary, or at least the most famous, manufacturer of O27 these days - most, if not all, produced in the 3-rail version running on AC current. Lots of accessories are available with working parts (circuses, sawmills, etc).
    S scale: 1:64) Not as popular as some of the others but definitely growing as a home for a lot of followers and offspring from the American Flyer era. This was my first model train as is the case for a lot of "baby boomers", and permanently instilled my passion for model railroading.
    OO Scale - (1:74) Primarily used by British railroad modelers. Most manufacturers of OO scale will fudge a little on the gauge so that the locomotives and rolling stock will run on HO track. Check out the British Railway Modellers of North America for more information.
    HO Scale: the most popular scale - (1:87) or 1/87th the size of the real thing. Not too big. Not too little. Fits on a 4x8 foot piece of plywood fairly well for a nice small layout. Also you'll find more supplies, equipment and accessories made for this model train scale than for any other.
    TT Scale (1:120) has only a very small following in this country but available if that size meets your needs the best. Might be difficult to find suppliers.
    N Scale: smaller than HO scale - (1:160) or 1/160th the size of the prototype. Also very popular because you can create a greater model railroad empire in a smaller space than with HO. If you like a lot of scenery with long trains curving around inside an interesting landscape, this is the model railroad scale for you.
    Z Scale: even smaller than N Scale (1:220). This scale is great for coffee tables, a nice addition to your executive desk - good for any "large" layout in a very small space. Easy to transport if you like. At least one person I know created an entire Z scale model railroad empire inside a suitcase and displayed it at various train shows! This model train scale can also be used effectively in the background of an N scale or HO scale layout for forced perspective so that it looks like you have trains or structures way off in the distance when viewed from eye level. This makes your HO or N scale layout look even bigger than it really is.
    HOn3-1/2: a narrow gauge designation indicating basically that you have HO equipment running on track that measures only 3-1/2 scale-feet between the rails instead of the usual 4ft 8-1/2in. The prototypes for narrow gauge railways are usually logging railroads where sharp turns around rocky, mountainous terrain are required.
    There are other model railroad scales that have been used, but these are probably the best ones to use for the purposes and scope of this site. The tools and techniques described herein can be applied to any of the above scales with minor modifications.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I did HO scale as a kid, we used to get stuff from Metzler's Hobby Shop on Madison, but I don't think that its open anymore.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I second Big Four, nothing but trains and good people. I have a lot of O Lionel that's pre and post WWII, HO stuff that's 30+ years from my childhood, and an N gauge set from my younger years as well. I like N but man it's pricey. Now if I can ever get ahold of my Dad's a**hole brother and get him to cough up what was my Dad's American Flyer I'll be happy.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    HobbyTown North is a good store ONLY if Dan (store manager, head of the train department) is there. Everyone else back there is almost incompetent. A good place for model railroad discussion is the Naptown and White River Model Railroad Club ( naptownrr.org ). I'm a member there and it's a great place to hang out and run trains.

Train Central on Washington has a ton of O gauge stuff along with N and HO scale stuff. Prices there are fair, I haven't been to Big Four in a while but their HO was a good price last time I was there.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not all O guage is the same size. The O27(called traditional by Lionel) is smaller in size than the other O(called standard by Lionel) guages and will not look good if intermixed. Most of the sets are O27 and can be had for $250-$350...the larger O guages seldom come in sets and are much higher priced.

They will all run on the same width of track but the larger O gauge will not make the curves of the O27. In fact they are all classed by the minimum diamater of circle they can take ie: 027 or O36 etc.

The larger O guage engines are much more like the HO guage with computer chips that allow significant remote operator flexiblity. The larger O trains rarely come in sets.

I too am an old Lionel traditionalist and stay with the O27...used with my sons and just got a Polar Express set for my Grandaughter to play with.

Great hobby that most kids will join in on and the larger guage trains are easier for them to place on tracks etc.

Like some of you have stated if given moderate care these trains will last multiple generations.

Choo....Choo:rockwoot:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Lionel sets in O guage are what does it for me, and todays Lionel quality is excellent. It's just about like firearms. You can spend a little or alot and generally the adage of you get what you pay for still applies. Others that produce high quality components (rail cars, etc) are made by Williams, and MTH. I wanted to build an o guage Santa Fe Chief passenger of the fifties era (F2 or F3 powered with an A and B unit) and found a bunch of great stuff on ebay, and if you take the time to research your consist and can be patient you can get some great buys there.

One great place to look online is Mario's Trains. Polar Express, Lionel Trains, Model Trains, Williams Trains, K-Line and MTH | Mario's Trains He has a huge variety of great stuff (sets, single cars, locos and accessories) and is an unabashed train buff and a kid at heart. Very resonable prices too.

For Christmas my wife got me a early fifties Lionel J-3 Hudson, working coal car with sound, four Pensy passenger cars (domed car, two pullman sleepers, and an observation car) all with detailed and lighted interiors and a early fifties Lionel KW190 transformer/controller that operates two full consists and a bunch of accesories. The KW190 is like new and the power equipment is straight beautiful (and heavy). It along with my Santa Fe Chief, Pensy WWII military transport train, and the Lionel Polar Express are still set up under our Christmas tree.

Space can be a problem sometimes with O gauge if your wanting to build a nice layout, and that is where the HO (Half-O) comes in handy...but I'm a sucker for the O guage stuff.

Go for it Fenway. Be a RR engineer with your son and you'll have a lifetime of fun. Not to mention that with just a little maintenance, care and attention your sets have the quality that will be passed down for generations...fun stuff.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    I bought the Polar Express Train set from Amazon.com just before Christmas I have not set it up yet but by the looks and feel of the train im pleased with it so far. I read the reviewes and thought it was a great buy and with my 3yr old loving the movie I had to get it. I grew up with the Loinel trains from the 70s and I still have my first train set given to me from my grandfather on Christmas of 1977.

manygunsmike

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Always been favorable to N, but I like little things. I always wanted to set up an EL with subway cars over a real dreadful slum, with liquor stores, vandals, police busts, prostitutes and whatnot. I'm just sick like that.

Top Bottom