• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've not been able to tell a difference in edge retention between the two and I've not had any rust issues. I'm not sure how I would choose between the two, I have several, they're so light and inexpensive I have a hard time passing em up. So I guess I would suggest buying both and see what you like best.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I think DaKruiser hit it on the head. I don't think you will see much if any difference in the edge retention.

As for a specific model I have an older "Tri-Flex" with the black hard plastic handle and I have one of the Companion MG models. I don't know if they do the "Tri-Flex anymore, but it is similar to the #760 Craftsman. I like the softer handle of the Companion because it is more grippy, but I really like the Tri-Flex too. They both came very sharp and have held their edges well. Both of mine are carbon steel, but that's just because that's what they had when I was in the shop. I did grind the spine of the blade, out towards the tip, so that it had nice square corners to it, so I could use it with the fire steel.

I did see that they came out with a newer "Companion Heavy-Duty" which has a thicker blade. I would like to get one of those to try out.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    On Feb 9-10 Brad will be sat up at the Lafayette gun & knife show at the fairgrounds. He will have my Mora knives on display. Some are stainless and some are carbon. I have about 8 different models to choose from.
    Just an FYI. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The carbon steel is going to be easier to sharpen with improvised abrasives. I think they take an inherently sharper edge as well and are definitely more forgiving of what sort of abrasive you use.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Spring is coming, and the panfish are soon to nest. You guys should pick up their bad ass filet knife :thumbsup: Its held a better edge than anything else I've used. I'd really like to try out the Helle on this year.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Ooh, the Helle's are supposed to be some good knives. I keep thinking about trying one out too (darn that need for money and all the non-fun places it seems to go first). If you do get one, please post a report on it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I bought a Helle 7" filet blade and used a new cork Fly rod grip for a handle. It is sharper than a Sicillian Barmaid and the blade is a little stiffer than most US filet blades, which I like. Oh, and it floats blade down with the cork handle.

Top Bottom