• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    A while back I started a thread about US Army will Retire M9 (because it?s old and weak) - Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com. Well apparently the M9 replacement won't be coming very soon. U.S. Army to Purchase 15,000 More Beretta 92FS Pistols - Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com
    Despite their recent announcement that they're done with the M9/M92FS pistol, and that they would be (and presumably still are) shopping around for a new sidearm, the Army has gone ahead and bought an additional 15,778 Berettas to restock their worn supply and supply friendly forces around the world.
    m90.jpg

On a side note, notice the gold hammer on the fourth one back in the photo:scratch:.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I love beretta. I like the m9/m92... but as far military issue... we can do better IMHO (and im NOT saying glock)... id like to see our guys carry .45 as long as there are "rules of war"... now if they could use gold dots or federal HST.... my opinion might change.

The real question.... whats the BEST pistol for military use?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To explain the gold hammer, Beretta is known for having extra parts at the end of their assembly line, and if enough parts will make a run of a "special edition" version of the Series 92. Guessing that they were one hammer short this time and just happened to have the gold one laying around. Would imagine it will be changed before shipment.

The above info was gotten by me during a talk with someone at the Beretta factory. Not only do they have a sense of humor, they also know how to play the market!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    I love beretta. I like the m9/m92... but as far military issue... we can do better IMHO (and im NOT saying glock)... id like to see our guys carry .45 as long as there are "rules of war"... now if they could use gold dots or federal HST.... my opinion might change.

The real question.... whats the BEST pistol for military use?
    One pistol i THINK is being considered is the FNP 45 it holds 14 rounds of 45 flush and is very reliable

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't believe testing has even begun for an M9 replacement. According to Modular Handgun System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, testing should begin in FY '11//12, which began on Oct. 1.

The U.S. Army is currently adopting requirements for the Modular Handgun System (MHS) that will initiate a handgun competition to replace the M9 Pistol. The requirement for the new pistol originated with the Air Force and has previously received Joint Requirements Oversight Council (JROC) validation. The Army requires the MHS to be more effective, accurate, and reliable than the M9 Pistol, which has been the Army’s standard sidearm since 1986.

The MHS requirement calls for a non-caliber specific weapon with modular features to allow for the adaption of different fire control devices, pistol grips, and alternate magazine options. The weapon will fit various hand sizes and will mount targeting enablers using MIL-STD-1913 rails. The new weapon will incorporate detection avoidance by having a non-reflective neutral color and will be operable with a sound and flash suppression kit in place.

The MHS Program will select a commercial off-the-shelf handgun to replace the M9 Pistol.

So, the M9 should be around for awhile yet.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. I'd be curious if the new order of beretta's were for the m9's or the m9a1's. Having sold my M9, I would like to buy an M9A1 to upgrade and replace it.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hey wait didn't Beretta just get a contract in 09 that extended to like 2014 to deliver M9's the military? That made me question why the army would replace the M9 with that contract in effect.. and if it's still in effect and guns are being sent out then why order 15,000 more?? Does the military really wear out guns that fast....?:dunno:

btw I'm not dissing on the Beretta I personally love them!:D

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    The FNP 45 (or 9, or 40) would be a great choice imo, and a likely one considering FN makes most of our weapons now.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hey wait didn't Beretta just get a contract in 09 that extended to like 2014 to deliver M9's the military? That made me question why the army would replace the M9 with that contract in effect.. and if it's still in effect and guns are being sent out then why order 15,000 more?? Does the military really wear out guns that fast....?:dunno:

btw I'm not dissing on the Beretta I personally love them!:D

It will take that long for the military to conduct testing and determine if it needs to be replaced.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    15,000 isn't really a big order for an Army with 500,000 combat troops. Likely a simple order to replace those pistols that are at the end of their service life.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

The length of the contract doesn't really mean to much as far as contracts go. It's likely for a very specific number or it's an IDIQ (indefinite delivery Indefinite quantity) contract. meaning they can order as many or as few as they like during the contract period.

It will take that long for the military to conduct testing and determine if it needs to be replaced.

Hell, it will take that long also for the paperwork to get done once the testing is finished. Your right the testing takes forever, but very often the drawing up the contract and getting it through the system can easily take 13 months or more, especially for a big purchase.

15,000 isn't really a big order for an Army with 500,000 combat troops. Likely a simple order to replace those pistols that are at the end of their service life.

Bingo! I can assume that there are more then 15,000 of these that very easily need replaced! These guns are beat all to hell and are soooooooooo old. The Marine Corps considers me a pistol expert (and I'm not a bad shot if I do say so myself) and I can tell you from experience, if I take 3 of these out of the armory, I'll have to shoot all 3 of them a little differently. I hate to see so much $$ go out to buy new items that will just be replaced, but there are a ton of these not need replaced in a major way!

Top Bottom