• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    I saw cheaper than dirt has inserts to convert 7.62x54r to 7.62x25mm. Has anyone used one? Sounds like a neat idea for some really cheap and quiet shooting.

:patriot:

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I recently bought one from The Sportsmans Guide. I think it was about $14.95. I've only used it once for about 10 shots to try out an M44 I bought at the last 1500. Accuracy was really bad, but I haven't had the opportunity to try the M44 with 7.62x54r yet so I reserve judgement.

The ammo I have has some splits in the case; something I've been told isn't unusual for Polish ammo in this caliber. It made it very hard to remove the spent shell from the adapter. Before I use it again, I plan to make a tool of some sort to make removal easier.

Here's a link to the one I bought:

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide

If the ice ever leaves, I want to take my 91/30 to the range and see if it does any better. I also need to get better 7.62x25. The stuff I got first kinda scares me. Surely they have some better stuff available.

I think it'll be ok if I can lick the accuracy problem. At least it will allow me to shoot my Mosin Nagants at MCFG as they only allow pistol ammo.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I wonder if accuracy is hurting due to the fact that the 7.62x25 bullet is much shorter than the projectile used in the 7.62x54r. It probably has a longer "jump" to hit the rifling, and the twist is probably not right for the small bullet. Not sure if the 7.62x25 bullet is .311-.313 diameter like the 7.62x54r or not either.

Definitely tagged for interest though.

Top Bottom