• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Has anyone heard of anybody making Mosin barrels in the original length and profile? Installation services? I know it’s not cost effective and the question has probably been asked 100 times in the past 15 years, but I have a longstanding project to refinish and refresh one of these for the old ladies hunting rifle. The size and weight are perfect for her and she loves the look after I refinished the stock and steel.

I know McGowen precision lists on their site sales and installation, but I’ve never been able to reach anyone through phone or email (and I’ve been trying off and on for 7 years- no exaggeration).

Figured I’d dig this out one last time and try to finish it before I gave up and hawked the whole kit and kaboodle.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I have never seen a factory length and profile mosin replacement barrel. That being said I know they can be an absolute pain to remove. Options would be to have a custom barrel made $$$$ or find a junker gun with a good bore and pay to have em swapped. Give it a few more years and somebody will make a replacement. They aren't getting any newer

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Respectfully, with all the other options out there, including options that are already drilled and tapped for scope mounts, why would you choose such an antiquated variation?

I understand liking something, but when the updating/upgrading will cost significantly more than a replacement which will be more accurate out of the box....I couldn't justify modifying....

Just my double pennies. But what do I know

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Respectfully, with all the other options out there, including options that are already drilled and tapped for scope mounts, why would you choose such an antiquated variation?

I understand liking something, but when the updating/upgrading will cost significantly more than a replacement which will be more accurate out of the box....I couldn't justify modifying....

Just my double pennies. But what do I know
    No better reason than it’s a knockout and feels really good in the hand. I’ve done quite a bit of the work already on the stock, metal surfaces and bolt. I think at this point it’s probably time to let it go. I just thought I’d make one last ditch effort to nail down a lead before I threw in the towel. Not finishing something I started makes me feel dirty.

To be fair, the barrel it has is pretty typical. 3-4 moa? Not acceptable for hunting in my book, but hunting was something I wanted to get her into. Not a natural inclination.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    No better reason than it’s a knockout and feels really good in the hand. I’ve done quite a bit of the work already on the stock, metal surfaces and bolt. I think at this point it’s probably time to let it go. I just thought I’d make one last ditch effort to nail down a lead before I threw in the towel. Not finishing something I started makes me feel dirty.

To be fair, the barrel it has is pretty typical. 3-4 moa? Not acceptable for hunting in my book, but hunting was something I wanted to get her into. Not a natural inclination.
    Is the rifle counter bored? Might be able to get away with a chop and recrown.
    Will lose some OAL but will more than make up for it in accuracy improvement.
    Might be as close as you can get.

Top Bottom