• ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    As previously stated, Mostins are SUPER simple:

The bolt is most complicated part of the entire gun, and even that isn't too bad. I tore mine down to remove the cosmoline and polish the internal contact surfaces - it worked wonders.

A proper cleaning and a buffing / polishing of the bolt internals and the trigger/sear will turn the gun into a whole different animal.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice looking rifle, edsinger! A big help to keep the recoil from knocking the snot out of you is to pull the butt tight into your shoulder pocket. That way your upper body basically becomes a part of the rifle and simple physics takes care of the rest.

All you need now is a sunny day to shoot, some vodka(just kidding), and caviar. A russian style hat is also required if going to shoot. Remember to call everyone comrad
    and study up on slang so you can walk the walk and talk the talk!
    Have fun and bring your hearing protection, you will need it.

:): You forgot the borscht with your caviar and vodka. After you're done shooting, of course.

As far as the firing pin depth is concerned, a good base line is to have it screwed in to the cocking knob until it is pretty much flush with the surface and the flathead notch lined up with the two lines engraved on the knob.

It stills needs to be measured to confirm it. In my collection I've got a couple that the firing pins are too long or too short for that to work. One 91/59 in particular I had to back the firing pin out 2 full turns before it was under the maximum allowable. Had I fired that one with the slot flush with the cocking knob there is no doubt it would have pierced every primer with a resulting faceful of gas. The exact measurement is .07" min. to .09" max. I tend to keep mine towards the short side and never (famous last words) have pierced primers or light primer strikes. My reason for doing that is because Mosins aren't the best for handling gas leaks.

As previously stated, Mostins are SUPER simple:

The bolt is most complicated part of the entire gun, and even that isn't too bad. I tore mine down to remove the cosmoline and polish the internal contact surfaces - it worked wonders.

A proper cleaning and a buffing / polishing of the bolt internals and the trigger/sear will turn the gun into a whole different animal.

:yesway:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Is there a way for me to quickly check the firing pin depth? I would assume that it is fine, but one way I can think of is to fire the first round whilst taking precautions, then examine the primer.

I still do not want to take the firing pin out yet if I can avoid it. Yet. I don't know when I will be able to shoot it anyway.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well its been three days and I got my woosie pad in the mail wit 5 stripper clips. Although it doesn't hurt anymore it sure looks like crap....

I wasn't going to post it by the wife said I deserve it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It looks worse than it feels, but I cant wait to shoot her again!:yesway:

Maybe I need more vitamin C

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Do you shoot with the butt on your biceps?

:laugh:

Not really. I have never had this issue with a .270, 7mm, or a 12 Gauge.

What I think happened was that I must have unconsciously moved the butt OFF my shoulder and that is where it hit during the 'slight' recoil of the Mosin. It could have also had to so with me using a sled for the first time ever, I am not sure.

I could have kept shooting but I wanted to shoot other guns. The one thing is that I got to test a woosie pad on another Mosin AFTER I did this and I couldn't feel it for the most part which is why I bought me one for $14 and it came with 5 stripper clips.

One thing I did learn, I LOVE THAT RIFLE and can not wait to shoot her again. I must test the accuracy of it.:ingo:

I will be a bit wiser now I am sure.:yesway:

It looks much worse than it actually is....I think it is funny actually.

:popcorn:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's especially important.

By far the best way you can do it, because it'll get most of it out of the wood.
    If you just keep wiping it down, it's not going to do much. About time you get out on a hot summer day, it's going to be bleeding that crap all over you.

Letting it bleed it all out in the sun or an oven is really the most effective way.

It's also extremely important that you learn the rifle inside and out. Taking it completely down a few times would be extremely recommended.

I didn't think about this. I though I had done a good job cleaning my new Mosin, but I guess I have more work to do.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Yeah Que, just letting it sit out in the sun on a nice hot day will take care of a bunch of the cosmo. One of my Mausers was seeping all over. I thought I had it pretty clean. I let it sit while I was shooting a couple more rifles and went back to pick it up...it was NASTY with cosmo.

I've got another one I'm planning on taking out on a hot day, shoot it a bit and then let it bake in the sun for a bit.

whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    Look inside where your bolt slides to see if there has been two screw holes welded up then ground smooth from the outside where the scope would of been mounted, found mine that way and she is a great shooter.

gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have a 4 Mosin and 5 assorted mausers and several other vintage rifles, I figured out the best way to get the cosmoline (grease) off is a stick of heating ducked One end sealed and a vent opening on the other end of it and a metal wire with a small heater. Hang the rifle from the top of the ducked work with the wire. Stick the heater in the vent opening and turn the heater on. Depending on the size of the heater keep on one on it to make sure it doesn't get to hot, depending on the temp that you get it will depend on how on it takes to get most of it out. After it stops dripping out I shut off the heater and pull the gun out and give the wood and rub down with simple green, I have only had one rifle I had to repeat this process with.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I have 4 mosins now and love the hell out of them. When i got my first one i used the ol ladys hair dryer to heat it up and get the cosmoline off and out of it ***but i burnt the dryer up (lol) so i started useing my heat gun ,and it seems to do a good job.

Top Bottom