• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    While i was at the range I tried to load 5 rounds into the mag of my Nagant. I was able to get 5 rounds in, but then I couldn't close the bolt. it wouldn't push it into the chamber. it kept forcing the nose of the round down into the magazine. i ended up having to pop the magazine floorplate open and drop all the rounds out, then only load up 4. and carefully and gently load the 5th round for it to chamber. no wonder i was able to buy it cause the russian who was issued it definatly didnt make it. i spent more time trying to load it then i actually shot it. :xmad: this is my second nagant and this one is being stubborn.....if your curious its a 1942 izzy

so any suggestions on fixing this. i cleaned it before i shot it. bought it from dunhams and didnt really have that much cosmo in it. i know the litle spring thing on the left side is responsible for the rounds feeding but dont know what to do. but try and clean it again.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    if its forcing the nose of the round down then all that happened was that the rim from the top shell got stuck behind the rim on the one under it.
    its really hard to get a cartridge into the chamber if the rims are hung up. simple fix load em carefully and make sure the rims are back as far as they can go and not behind the ones under them. if it happens sometimes u can move the rounds around in the action, or just drop em and try again.

your mosin is totally fine the rims on the cartridges are just annoying sometimes.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    ok thanks. ill try it next time. my 1936 has never done this, but this one did it every time but once. i didnt know if it was quality control since its a 42 and rather rough.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I'm pretty sure it's cartridge placement. Mine does what you discribed every now and again. I either use my fingers to adjust the top cartridge or if that doesn't work I drop all rounds out the bottom of the mag and hand load them into the magazine instead of using a stripper clip.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i like stripper clips. it was just frustrating as :poop: since my other one was smooth as can be. im better now thats it clean:)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have a 1928 91/30 and does not like stripper clips either. Hand feed, shoot, repeat. Only use for stripper clips is to stack rounds neatly in my USGI 1943 cartridge belt pouches to carry to range.I don't like loose ammo rolling around, or stored in paper bags. Also carry the canteen w/ cover and small med pouch on the belt so all is covered. Looking for some 1940's khaki suspenders to complement the belt rig. Is there a belt/ carrier for the Mosin Bayonet? Stopped at a garage sale and found a 1928 haversak (US Army issue), Musette bag, pair of khaki leggings, picked up all for $45.00. Lady that had the sale said her son use to go to WW2 Reenactor events and gave it up. The stuff can get costly.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    yea i dont like loose rounds rolling all over either so i guess there now storage tools. its good to know its not just mine.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Loading with the stripper clips should be fine as long as you are careful about the placement of the cartrige rims, with respect to each other. Make sure the rims are lined up one in front of the other, from bottom to top. Of course this means that the loaded stripper clip now has a bottom and a top. Put it in the right way, or you'll have feed issues.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'd go with cartridge placement too. My brother's M44 had an issue one of the times we loaded it with the 5th getting stuck and you had to open the floorplate to clear it. For some reason it only loaded up 4 that time. Next time 5 fit fine.

Top Bottom