• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The 91/30s where only produced after the 30s? Right. My question is, Is a mosin nagant made in 1925 a dragoon/other rifle?

picture.php

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Dragoon had the old sights in Cyrilic I believe and had no top handguard over the barrel.

Barrel was exposed on top.

Been awhile and I'm thinking there was more but it escapes me right now.

Aging stinks.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Dragoon had the old sights in Cyrilic I believe and had no top handguard over the barrel.

Barrel was exposed on top.

Been awhile and I'm thinking there was more but it escapes me right now.

Aging stinks.
    Didnt they have a finger rest behind the trigger also? Also on wikipedia I dont see the barrel exposed. BUT HEY ITS WIKIPEDIA

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I had to go look.

The finger rest was dropped in 1894, supposedly.

The story of the mosin is drawn out, confusing, and there are many variables when it comes to years of manufacture and dating parts used as the russians had mass old stock parts they used at will to get servicable weapons.

IE a double stamped hex reciever with two dates.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I had to go look.

The finger rest was dropped in 1894, supposedly.

The story of the mosin is drawn out, confusing, and there are many variables when it comes to years of manufacture and dating parts used as the russians had mass old stock parts they used at will to get servicable weapons.

IE a double stamped hex reciever with two dates.
    One date and a whole lotta markings cant get a good picture cause of lighting but It has loads of markings

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Anything that stands out of the dragoon besides the rear and front sight?
    Also an original dragoon handguard had "ears" that partially surrounded the rear sight. Those ears had a tendency to break so most dragoons in original configuration have a 91/30 type handguard.

Dragoon had the old sights in Cyrilic I believe

Actually they're in Arshins, an old Russian measurement that is app. 28". Cyrilic is the type of alphabet used in Russia and many other Slavic countries.

Gotcha.

We usally say Ishmash, though not correct.

Ishmash is actually as correct as Izhevsk. Ishmash an abbreviation of the name of the arsenal, while Izhevsk is the name of the city in which Ishmash is located.

Gutpile Charlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indian Territory, USA
    My oldest Mosin is a 1916 New England Westinghouse. It appears to be in "as new" condition any rifle that age could be. It was made in the US, sold to the Ruskies then it has a Finnish capture mark on it, the "SA" in a little square box. It is longer than the 91/30 and I think uses a differerent "bayonet mount" baoynet than the later models. I think is called the M1891 model.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My oldest Mosin is a 1916 New England Westinghouse. It appears to be in "as new" condition any rifle that age could be. It was made in the US, sold to the Ruskies then it has a Finnish capture mark on it, the "SA" in a little square box. It is longer than the 91/30 and I think uses a differerent "bayonet mount" baoynet than the later models. I think is called the M1891 model.

Yeah, a Westinghouse would be a M91. And you are correct, the bayonet mount is quite different from the 91/30. Got any pics? If so, you should start a new thread, if it would be great to see it.

Top Bottom