• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I wanted to remove my Mosin rear sight. I took off the sight by removing the pin that holds it and the spring.
    I wanted to remove the sight base itself, I tapped out the two pins that are in the base and the sight doesn't seem to want to come off.
    Is this part removable? I figured it was just pinned on. Do I just need to get a little more aggressive with it?

Thanks

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I also recall that some are soldered. And, for the 91/30's, underneath the sight is a pair of grooves that .22 rimfire rings will clamp into. You can, supposedly, use steel rimfire rings to mount a long eye relief scope to a Mosin.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yes, they are soldered. The pins weren't used until about 1940 or 41, but most rifles that ddin't have them originally had them added at refurb. That is one of the clues to whether a pre WWII rifle is a refurb or in original condition.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    When i took mine off, I tookt the two pins out. And taped it lightly with a small hammer( it slides off tword the front sight) came right off. Didnt notice any soilder though.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I wanted to remove my Mosin rear sight. I took off the sight by removing the pin that holds it and the spring.
    I wanted to remove the sight base itself, I tapped out the two pins that are in the base and the sight doesn't seem to want to come off.
    Is this part removable? I figured it was just pinned on. Do I just need to get a little more aggressive with it?

Thanks

If you still have the same Mosin's they rock. What are you up to now?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well as luck would have it, my rear sight was pinned and soldered, quite a bit of solder. I heated it up with a propane torch and gave a piece of aluminum a couple of raps with a hammer and I got it off the dovetail.
    I am amazed at the amount of machining that went into these rifles.

picture.php

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I also recall that some are soldered. And, for the 91/30's, underneath the sight is a pair of grooves that .22 rimfire rings will clamp into. You can, supposedly, use steel rimfire rings to mount a long eye relief scope to a Mosin.

FYI....you are absolutly right! The rimfire rings fit great! Not much room to space them out but they will go on there.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom