• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have my eyes on a Mosin carbine. I'm just waiting for some money coming in. My question is this. Do they make a scope mount, that will fit a scope with a 30MM tube? I'm not sure yet if I'm going to go that rout yet. It is in the back of my mind though. Also any links would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Patriot

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Couple of questions.....

You do realize that you'll have to bend the bolt handle if you're going to mount it in the traditional place?

OR

Have you found a 30mm extended/intermediate eye relief scope if you're planning on mounting it forward? I'd be interested in a link to the scope... or are you thinking red dot?

Maybe I'm confused....:dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have limited experience with Mosins, but cant you get bent bolts for them? Also, I was probably going to get a Bushnell scope. They have some Banner models that have a 6" eye relief. My other question is how are the OE Military scopes mounted? Are they not mounted above the bolt? I thought they mounted high enough so there was clearance for the bolt? I know I have seen pictures of others with the scope mounted above the bolt.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I have limited experience with Mosins, but cant you get bent bolts for them? Also, I was probably going to get a Bushnell scope. They have some Banner models that have a 6" eye relief. My other question is how are the OE Military scopes mounted? Are they not mounted above the bolt? I thought they mounted high enough so there was clearance for the bolt? I know I have seen pictures of others with the scope mounted above the bolt.

If I'm not mistaken the bent bolts are pretty rare and worth more with the original rifles than to be swapped around. I'd do a little bit more research. It would be nice if there was a cheap way of doing this though, but i don't think there is.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    You can get bent bolts for the mosins. They are roughly $35. I will edit with a link to them if I can find them. Or you can cut the bolt and do it with the kit. CTD sells that if you want to go that route. I would probably do the bent bolt and drill / tap the receiver myself.

The Boltman. They are $57 The Boltman

Scope mount for drilling and tapping. $21 Results for mosin scope mount - Sorted by Best Match for Advanced Technology Brand, on Page 1 (20 Items) - OpticsPlanet

I have read a lot of bad reviews with the UER scope mounts on the rear sight. They seem to jostle around a lot and iron sights are better if that's the case. I would stick with something that will remain solid, especially with the recoil of the mosin. One of the downfalls to the scope over the bolt is it's harder to load the mag.

I have yet to do this but have read a ton on it and will be doing it soon.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom