• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msuspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    I am thinking of replacing my stock 91/30 Mosin with an Archangel stock OR a Boyds replacement stock. Any thoughts on those that may have done this? Both have good options and aspects. So thoughts? TIA

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Man, I wish my employer had granted me Mosin stock options back when I first started working. I'd be rich! Sorry, couldnt help myself. Back to your question...

Short answer: Rifle is fine, leave it alone.
    Longer answer: Why spend money trying to turn a 75+ year-old rifle into something it's not? Want a modernized, high-power bolt gun? Go buy one. Savage, sako, ruger, Howa, tikka, bergara, etc all make reasonably priced guns with synthetic stocks.

Sell me your Mosin for $250, avoid buying a $150 - 250 stock for it, and buy yourself a modern 308, 30-06, 6.5CM, or whatever your heart desires. Or, you know, just shoot that Mosin as it is and enjoy it for what it is.

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    Have to agree with others here, don't change the stock, leave it be or sell it to a milsurp collector and get yourself a modern rifle if that's what you're wanting.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    1681179368922.jpeg
    My bubba‘d up MN. Shoots just fine. I’m sure I’ve shot it more than I would have as a military configuration rifle.
    gun 49.00
    stock 120.00
    bolt work + hardware ~50.00

Guessing this was 30 years ago.

Not disparaging anyone’s opinion, just what I did. It is what you asked.

There are literally millions of them out in the world. Your rifle, your dime. Do what you want. Good luck.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    5jlO.gif

;)

This thread reminds me it's time to renew my FFL03.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Another aspect to all of this besides simply destroying a nice collectible rifle is that the nations that produced these things spent a fair amount of time and money trying to get them right. They typically considered things like barrel harmonics and exactly where the contact points between stock and barrel should be. I know the British went to great lengths to get the #4, Mk.I stocked perfectly. The Swiss were famous for it. I don't know why people think they are going to make them shoot better by monkeying with them, the people involved in the original development weren't idiots.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom