• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    i got a mossberg 500 (12 gauge) its got a regular stock and a rifled barrel. pretty standard if you ask me. but im wanting to add some stuff to it that would make it a better gun. i need some ideas. i use this gun for hunting/home defense so i dont wanna shorten the barrel. im not looking to add a site cause i dont see a reason behind it since its just a shotgun but i want to do something to make it a little more special if you get what im saying.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    If you use it for HD, you're probably shooting shotshells. In that case, first order of business is to get an 18" smooth bore barrel, or your buckshot will shoot a donut pattern. For that barrel, you could get a Meprolight bead, so you have some aiming capability in low light, without having to mess with a RDS.

The Knoxx recoil reducing stock is a nice addition, even to a hunting gun. It will make LOP adjustable, and take a lot of agony out of zeroing for slugs.

I've heard of the 500 plastic safety being replaced with a steel part, for the purpose of improving reliability.

I'll see what else is popular.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you had called it a "mossy" I would have suggested one of these.......

DSC_0029.jpg

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I clipped a flashlight/laser combo to the magazine tube. Just an inexpensive one. Do a Mossberg 500 search at Brownell's or Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsmans Guide.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I put a couple rainbow stickers on my 500. Next weekend I've got a project planned. I'm going to add a nice glitter treatment. Really, about all they need is a nice sling set up. If you use it for home defense, as mentioned...get a smooth bore barrel.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would love to have one of those impossible to find bullpup stocks for mine.

Saw one of the bullpups at a gun show a year or 2 ago. If I would have had the $500, I would have picked it up. That thing was pretty sexy and they normally are quite a bit more than that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A barrel will set you back around $50 IIRC and can be swapped back and forth in a minute to two. Other than the 18" smoothbore barrel, add a 6 round side saddle and then practice loading and firing from it. You can get to be pretty quick feeding from the side saddle with practice.

Top Bottom