Mossberg 500's (Must be the cream of the crop)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I have been looking to buy a used Mossberg 18-20" (HD) for ever now and no one seems to want to sell theirs!! That is why I said the must be the cream of the crop!! Anyone disagree??

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I like em. Id suggest buy a new one with the factory warranty (which came standard with every gun, last time I checked), it might be cheaper to do that than buy used (some people will bump up the price to what they want, versus what theyre really worth).

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I would partly agree with you. The Remington 870 is right there on the same level with the mossberg 500. So I would say both shotguns are "the cream of the crop" of the entry level shotgun.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    While I won't "disagree" I wouldn't call them "cream of the crop" either. Don't know why you're having a problem finding one (unless the fact that deer season is here) as I see plenty for sale in the $200 (or less) price range. After deer season,you'll be able to find all kinds for sale.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    While I won't "disagree" I wouldn't call them "cream of the crop" either. Don't know why you're having a problem finding one (unless the fact that deer season is here) as I see plenty for sale in the $200 (or less) price range. After deer season,you'll be able to find all kinds for sale.

I guess the issue is I want an all black one, not camo, and a 18-20" barrel, not a 28". I guess for HD people keep em!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the position of the safety among other features. It's within a few steps of my bed if I ever need it.

It will normally wear a 20" barrel and a tube full of buck shot. But I also have an additional barrel for game if I ever get the chance to birdhunt anytime soon.

I really don't see any reason to have another shotgun right now, but maybe the 930SPX is in my future. I really want to try the semi-auto.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have one with wood stocks and 2 barrel choices, love it! I tried embracing another shotgun but I went back! Keep your eyes open, I picked up mine for $220 with both barrels and it's in great shape. :yesway:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Every now and then I think about selling my 500, but always talk myself out of it.
    I do like my 590a1 better.

If you don't mind the crappy trigger a Mossberg Bullpup makes a great HD. It uses the 500 as a base gun.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    try looking on armslist. I see shotguns on there all the time. It can be a little shady, but you can find a good deal if you know what you are doing.
    I have 3 barrels for my mossberg, the LONG vent rib, the shorter smooth bore with rifle sights and the 18" smooth bore with bead sights and heatshield.
    Great gun and they will do almost any job a shotgun can do.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Pawnshops. I know there is at least one synthetic stock black 500 w/20 inch barrel for sale at a pawn shop in Bloomington right now. It is over priced (IMO), but you could talk them down I am sure.

Not sure how close you are to Bloomington, but it is at Tom Cats on 17th.

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I think it's because it's a tool that most people that buy, feel they need/want them. You've already laid down the cash for it, it's not a significant amount, so why sell? You'll only end up saying... I really should have a shotgun... and buying one again. Those who are really into shotguns spend more for a "better" shotgun.

Top Bottom