• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I was hijacking another thread. It's never occurred to me to ask here but there is a wealth of knowledge on INGO!

I farm in Illinois and I've bought a farm in Indiana which I'm farming this year. I'd like to start the process of moving my farm base to IN but Need advice.

Are there any farmers on here that farm in Illinois and how are your taxes figured? Do you owe IL for IL crop proceeds and IN for the same? Do you pay IN taxes on all?

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Honestly I'd be surprised if someone on here knew. I sure as hell do not, but would recommend calling the SBA or even Farm Bureau...I know they do insurance but my rep actually farms as well and could probably tell you. Plus they'd probably help you out in hopes that you could become a customer of theirs.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Honestly I'd be surprised if someone on here knew. I sure as hell do not, but would recommend calling the SBA or even Farm Bureau...I know they do insurance but my rep actually farms as well and could probably tell you. Plus they'd probably help you out in hopes that you could become a customer of theirs.

Good suggestions. Still looking for a farmer who might be in a similar situation.

I'm rained out again waiting for the water to recede and the geese to leave! Grr!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am no expert but I KNOW I would look closely at the web site for IDOR, Indiana Department of Revenue. go to IN.GOV and hit IDOR from there.

One thing in the back of your mind should be if you buy materials in Indiana but use them in IL and vice versa. That can lead to some issues and suddenly you find yourself with a tax lein on taxes you never knew you owed. Not because you truly owe them, but because IDOR thinks you owe it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I also suspect that it matters how you hold title to the land (or operate the farming business).... I don't know enough to be able to say anything worthwhile.... sorry....

Top Bottom