• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's the salt left behind from shooting surplus ammo. Water will neutralize salt. Then run a bore snake through with your solvent of choice. I have been buying factory ammo. Sure it's more expensive, but if I can not clean it right away. I do not have to worry about pitting. I like my 91/59, but I still have to sight it in.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Great buy!!! Now the fun can begin!!!! Did you end up getting it at Orion (Keislers) and did you get plenty of ammo?

philagothon is 100% correct in his analasys of the problem with ammo that has corrosive primers. I also like Windex for the reasons he stated.

Congrats and enjoy!!!:)

Nah acually found it at a local shop here, I stoped in to get some ammo for one of my other guns and he had it there, to good a price to turn down:)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've heard that the British soldiers in the old days used to p*ss down the barrel of their Lee Enfield rifles to neutralize the corrosive salts.

But really, Windex or it's equivalent is a common household thing that most people have, and the amount it takes to spray a few patches costs a fraction of a cent.
    Which is nothing in comparison to the cost of shooting.
    I could see that working, pee does contain ammonia
    Speaking of Mosins, get your hands in a Finnish M39 Mosin while they're still around.
    They're the favorite of the Mosins I have.

yea im deffinatly getting mosin fever now, just cant really pass up the price on these rifles

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Any one know of a good place to get ammo for these guns? Also were would a guy go to get maybe a better quality an more accurate round for these guns?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Umm... where to begin? I've never heard of water increasing acidity due to hydrogen ions. By that theory it would also increase alkalinity due to hydroxide ions. Neither of which is relevant to surplus ammo. Surplus ammo is corrosive because of the primers that were used. The primers create a salt as a byproduct of ignition. This salt coats everything and attracts moisture creating tiny pools of salt-water that eat away at the rifle. The solution to tiny pools of salt-water? Gratuitous amounts of water. Water washes the salt away before it has a chance to damage the rifle, however it does relatively little to clean the crud left behind by surplus powder. That's where Windex comes in. The ammonia helps clean powder residue as well as any copper left behind from the bullets. It also contains plenty of water to wash away the salts.

Wow, that was long, boring, worth at least half of what you paid for it l, and at least 10% accurate. Hope it helps.

BTW, congrats on the Mosin they are tons of fun and one of the main reasons I will be getting my C&R FFL soon.

Dead on regards the water. The salt that is produced by corrosive primers is potassium chloride. This salt is dissolved by water over 500 times better than ammonia. Besides, ammonia if used in too strong a concentration and left too long in the barrel can cause problems of its own.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Hmmmm. I dont see how water could be used to neutralize an acid, because when pure water is poured into an acid it increases the acidic affect, by adding more hydrogen molecules. Water is a weaker base. But with the addition of the ammonia it cancels the hydrogens effect an creates a neautral soulution, I could see the ammonia doing the job seein as how its more of a alkaline base chemical. Because when you introduce a base to an acid it creates a salt as a by-product of neutralization. Then the salts would be dissolved an washed away by the water i would say. I suspect you could get the same results from a baking soda water mix. If an acid is created from the old surplus ammo.:twocents:

Thats why house hold windex or equivalent would be a good choice, it contains <1% ammonia by weight:yesway:

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Just got my first Mosin too, and the first gun I actually own. Dad was a decent collector, but that was childhood. Can anyone help educate me on cleaning. I see the Windex comments and someone referenced solvent and oil? Assume I know nothing, b/c aside from being a pretty decent natural shot, I haven't been able to play around since I was a kid.

I just made another thread b/c I didn't want to hijack this one, but have some other mosin questions https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...osin_discussion_and_research.html#post1692512

Top Bottom