• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Just wanted to give my :twocents:. I went solo to willow slough today in newton county to sight in my AR. I have never used the range at this DNR area. I had been a little reluctant because of the many horror stories i hear of from the folks here in the area. I have to say, it was very, very pleasant. First of all, it was not crowded so that may have been a good thing. From the time i checked into the geezer shack to the time i hit the 25 yard range three hours later, i had a blast. The ROs were very nice with no ignorant comments or grumpy demeanor. Everyone on the line played well with each other and we made a few trips to the fence without issue. I will definately be returning in the near future. +1 to anyone who may have been there today and to the geezers for not being a-holes. bigiron:ingo:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, I haven't had any problems at WS except one time I was going to shoot pistols and the RO (some old guy) said that I couldn't shoot pistols without my LTCH (this was before the law changed, and before I knew better).

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    It has been better this year. last year there was an RO that was just not very pleasant from the get-go. Now the RO that is usually there seems to be a good guy and treats everyone well from everything I have seen.

You definately have to watch others and what they are doing at all times. But that is true anywhere that people are using live ammo. it seems that sometimes you get a good group where everyone knows what they are doing and other times you whisper to your partners "watch that person they are waving that gun all over the place".

I always tell the kids about the good old days when we are heading down to WS. Back when there was no RO and you could shoot at whatever junk you bought with you. Now that was FUN!

Thanks for the range report.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i plan to head back next saturday with my son. this will be his first trip to a public range so hopefully things go as well as they did yesterday. who knows. i had a great time and i look forward to some more fun soon. if any of you would like to join us out there saturday, feel free to show up. i would love to stack the line with ingo guys and gals.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It has been better this year. last year there was an RO that was just not very pleasant from the get-go. Now the RO that is usually there seems to be a good guy and treats everyone well from everything I have seen.

You definately have to watch others and what they are doing at all times. But that is true anywhere that people are using live ammo. it seems that sometimes you get a good group where everyone knows what they are doing and other times you whisper to your partners "watch that person they are waving that gun all over the place".

I always tell the kids about the good old days when we are heading down to WS. Back when there was no RO and you could shoot at whatever junk you bought with you. Now that was FUN!

It was even better back in the "good old days" when we had another range to go to in the area (Lasalle)that was closer than WS. To bad some idiot got it shut down by shooting at an airplane from the local air field.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Ya, we went last week. Had a good time, nice day. The only thing is I wish they had somekind of side protection on the shootin booths. I saw some people clearing their pistols with the muzzle pointed at folks :scared:.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI

Yep...I remember those days. Right after Halloween it was pumpkin shooting time. Guys would bring pick-up truck loads of pumpkins.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    It was even better back in the "good old days" when we had another range to go to in the area (Lasalle)that was closer than WS. To bad some idiot got it shut down by shooting at an airplane from the local air field.

I was not ailing at the plane!

Yea, Lasalle is where my girlfriend (now wife) shot the AR for the first time. We put a one gallon milk jug filled with water down range. The AR had a scope on it. She hit it on her first shot and the milk jug shot straight up in the air! We all remember that to this day. it was a real hoot.

By the way, that is the 25 yard range at wiilow slough in my avatar.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was not ailing at the plane!

Yea, Lasalle is where my girlfriend (now wife) shot the AR for the first time. We put a one gallon milk jug filled with water down range. The AR had a scope on it. She hit it on her first shot and the milk jug shot straight up in the air! We all remember that to this day. it was a real hoot.

By the way, that is the 25 yard range at wiilow slough in my avatar.
    I really miss that range. I busted alot of caps down there. It was'nt anything fancy but it sure was convenient. It's been shut down for quite awhile now.

Top Bottom