• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FirearmPatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I have been living with the Ruger LCR .38 Special for a year and a half now. It probably has the best double action trigger of any revolver I have shot which has not had work done on it. At 13.5 ounces it is super light but the Hogue grip does an excellent job in taming recoil. Of course, you can always opt for the .357 magnum which is only slightly heaiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idx6E_R63hQ&list=UUB5A4jxSoxo79zhlqIl310A&index=29

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nice video. I've been strongly considering replacing my Taurus 650 with one, but haven't quite ponied up yet. I wonder why Ruger offers a front night sight on the .38 but not on the .357 version?

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I picked one up in a trade a while back (.357) with no intentions of keeping the ugly little thing. It quickly became my EDC and I have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon, Great little gun.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I got one for a good price about a year after it came out. Just never grew on me, didn't care for the feel or the looks. Shot fine, but my older 442 has a better trigger after all these years.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I love my LCR.357. Unfortunately I tend to loose it every summer because my fiance also loves it and usually takes it as her EDC when she is done with classes for the semester.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Neat video. I had an LCR, great gun. Maybe one of the best out of box triggers that I have seen. Got to get another one of these days when things get back to semi normal.

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    Just cannot get used to roll checking on the trigger. Always gives me the heebie jeebies.

I'll stick with my M638s so I can thumb the hammer while checking.

I'm waiting on my LCTH and am all over the board on what to buy for an EDC. I haven't ruled out ruled out revolvers (LCR has crossed my mind) and have been doing my best to learn as much as I can, but have never come across the term "roll checking". Could you or someone else enlighten me on that?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Got mine in a trade. .357 version

Interesting revolver, good
    shooter. I have never really carried it, the only holster I have currently that will fit it is lame and cheap, so it resides in my man cave.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Good video!

I shot a friends this past fall. I liked it with .38 +p but thought it was a handfull with .357. The grip did do an admireable job of taking some of the punch out of such a lightweight.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but have never come across the term "roll checking". Could you or someone else enlighten me on that?

I'm not surprised in this world of you kids and your hip hop, your plastic pistols, and your dirty baseball hats pulled down real low and your hip cool circle beards. I remember when a solid gun costs $200, we called nickels bees, give me five bees for a quarter we'd say, I took the ferry to West Morganville is what we called West Lafayette,I wore an onion on my belt which was the style at the time and I would complain about Jimmy Carter . . . oh, wait.

Right, roll checking. Before you carry the revolver you can to ensure that it functions. If the revolver does not revolve (high primer, dicked up round, star screwed up, gravel or smegma under star, inter alia) you are in a world of hurt.

1. Load weapon.

2. With weapon pointed at a backstop and not at your fellow gun show patrons, a barrel of sand perhaps, roll check it: with cylinder in place revolve the cylinder to ensure that rotates, one over (if 5 shot, 6 times, if 6 shot, 7 times).

3. When I roll check I have my thumb on the hammer to ensure that weapon does not go bang. Even with all my years and hours I am still unsettled by roll checking on the trigger only like you guys must.

Last edited:

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    Ha, well I recall walking uphill both ways in the snow to school. Now they walk across the street and two houses down to their bus stops. Don't care for much of that hip hop, the hats for a bad hair day (curved bill none of this flat bill nonsense), and my beard is more akin to a lumberjack or crazy hobo, by no means cool hipster. hit that point where it's a chore to shave...thinking of investing in a straight razor, bloody refill cartridges for the gilette fusion turbo 5000 or whatever they're gona sell next are ridiculous in price.

Thank you for your jovial and informative reply Kirk. Timely use of smegma if I might add. Could this be done with snap caps or do they not seat the same as a real round?

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    *facepalm* Your first two examples explained specifically why it'd need to be a live round. My apologies. Thanks once again.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not surprised in this world of you kids and your hip hop, your plastic pistols, and your dirty baseball hats pulled down real low and your hip cool circle beards. I remember when a solid gun costs $200, we called nickels bees, give me five bees for a quarter we'd say, I took the ferry to West Morganville is what we called West Lafayette,I wore an onion on my belt which was the style at the time and I would complain about Jimmy Carter . . . oh, wait.

570778-grampa4.gif

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    HiViz offers their front sight for the .38/.357 but they specifically do not recommend it for the .22.

Love mine! Got it shortly after it came out, and put the HiViz sight on it. I briefly tried carrying my compact pistol, but went right back to my LCR. Excellent gun, that is easy to carry.

Top Bottom