• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    I'm now the proud owner of my first lever action rifle. Thanks to fellow INGOer phatgemi, my latest find is a Marlin 1895 SS 45-70. Finally took it out to shoot yesterday after getting some Hornady Leverevolution 325gr ammo . We set up a paper target out around 50 yards. I took my first two shots standing and I didn't think the recoil was that bad. My next two shots were from a kneeling bench rest. These two stung a little. I think it was because my shoulder was rotated more forward. My spotter was useless so I'm not sure which shot hit were, but up on inspection I had 1 dead center bullseye, 2 within 2" of center, and one flyer out about 5". I would say not too shabby for stock buckhorn iron sights.
    After shooting my XDS .45 fresh back from recall, that'll be another post, I loaded up the rifle for 4 more shots. Since the bench rest stung, I decided to take these standing. Each remaining shot hurt more than the next. So it looks like a Kick Eez or Limbsaver will be my first accessory. Then a sling and maybe a set of Skinner sights. Overall, I love the gun and look forward to lots of fun with it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    45-70 is probably one of the best rifle cartridges for reloading and casting bullets.:)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd like to dear hunt with it, but I'll have to take up reloading so I can make some IN legal rounds.

I've successfully hunted Indiana whitetail with an unmolested .45-70govt round.
    It just happen to be legal in a pistol platform- Thompson Contender 16" barrel (ported) .45-70govt.

It LOADS of fun, and doesn't hurt the shoulder a bit!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Greetings and welcome to the club.

I have an 1895CB with the 26" octagonal barrel. I like that it holds 9 rounds in the tube. I don't like (after a day at the range) that it had no recoil pad. I substituted a guide gear gun furniture for the checkering, recoil pad, and sling swivels. I have a William's FP-336 peep on it. I had to shave the front sight down a bit but it groups well and I actually like it better that way...

My favorite rounds for it are Cor-Bon +P 460gr and Garrett 550gr Sledgehammers. Small armored vehicles are in play. Just for shooting days I've been using Bitterroot Valley 405gr rounds. They don't seem as punishing. I have some of the 325gr LeverEvolution ammo but have not compared the recoil from that to the 405gr Bitterroot since I changed the furniture.

And I did find the recoil significant when firing while seated...bruising even. But fun! Nothing like throwing a full third of a .556 magazine with every round. You can run but you can't hide...even behind a tree.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You are hooked now! I bought a Henry 44 mag then shot my buddy's 1895 Marlin and knew I had to have a 45-70. The 45-70 can bite you if you don't pull it in tight lol. I tried to find a new Marlin but the quality wasn't good on the ones i looked and and i couldn't find a used one. I bought the henry and have been very happy.

You have excellent gun! What kind of sights does it have? Stock? I wonder how long before you buy another lever:spend:It wasn't long for me. lol

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    Right now the sights are the stock rear and the hooded front. The only thing not stock on it is a hammer extension. I sorta went on a little shopping spree last night and ordered a Skinner XA rear sight, KickEeez Dual Action All Purpose recoil pad, Safari Ching Sling, and a set of swivels. Happy early birthday to me:)

You are hooked now! I bought a Henry 44 mag then shot my buddy's 1895 Marlin and knew I had to have a 45-70. The 45-70 can bite you if you don't pull it in tight lol. I tried to find a new Marlin but the quality wasn't good on the ones i looked and and i couldn't find a used one. I bought the henry and have been very happy.

You have excellent gun! What kind of sights does it have? Stock? I wonder how long before you buy another lever:spend:It wasn't long for me. lol

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I'm new to lever guns too. Located a very clean Win Saddle Ring Carbine in 45 Colt. Not a long range gun but holds 12 rounds and already.had the loading setup. 45-70 will be the next one.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm new to lever guns too. Located a very clean Win Saddle Ring Carbine in 45 Colt. Not a long range gun but holds 12 rounds and already.had the loading setup. 45-70 will be the next one.

That's a nice saddle gun, they've all got their place. The first weapon I paid money for, looking into the wayback machine, was a Win. 94 30-30 which is still sitting in my safe.

For a new .45-70 take a look at the Henry. It's still made in the USA. New Marlins are made in Japan. Not to say they're bad quality but...made in the USA and what not.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Right now the sights are the stock rear and the hooded front. The only thing not stock on it is a hammer extension. I sorta went on a little shopping spree last night and ordered a Skinner XA rear sight, KickEeez Dual Action All Purpose recoil pad, Safari Ching Sling, and a set of swivels. Happy early birthday to me:)

Great choice on the sight. I put the Skinner Express sight on my .44 mag. I haven't change the 45-70 yet but it's on the list. You are going to like the sight!

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I meant to add to my post yesterday: I would be glad to help you in the reloading area if you need any help. I also have info and have done some work on the Indiana legal 45/70 round. I'm 9 miles north of batesville. Let me know if ya need any help.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    Thanks for the offer. I'll get ahold of you when I'm ready to tool up.
    I meant to add to my post yesterday: I would be glad to help you in the reloading area if you need any help. I also have info and have done some work on the Indiana legal 45/70 round. I'm 9 miles north of batesville. Let me know if ya need any help.

Top Bottom