• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    First, congrats. Girls who like guns and want to use them are cool, I married one. Sounds like you can finally do some fun shopping. That should be a blast for the both of you, finally something for the guy.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I do believe I've already posted in this thread before. However I wanted to add:

If she already knows that you're considering the idea to get her a gun, maybe it would be best to let her pick it out while you're in her presence. At least this way you're still buying it for her, but at the same time you're guaranteed she's going to like what she gets.

Plus it's my birthday tomorrow. And my wife will help me spend my money by picking up some .45 ACP FMJ's.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I've owned a .357 Ruger and shot my brother's .357 S&W. I found the S&W much nicer overall. I really did not like the trigger on the Ruger. I found it SO hard to pull in comparison to the Smith. There is no choice between the two. Male relatives notice the difference but it's not a deal killer for them the way it is for me.

She's better off picking it out herself, with minimal suggestions from you, except with regards to opinions on reliability, etc. There's no way for someone else to see what fits and what she can easily use. I would not be happy with anything that my husband would pick for me, and he's tried hard to look up suggestions for female shooters. I've not bought anything that he's had in mind for me, either. I do not have what I consider to be a whole lot of shooting experience, but I've shot enough to know what I don't like, and what feels right. I don't mind shooting lots of different types of weapons, even if they're what I consider tricky, quirky, or difficult - but as for my own personal weapon, it's got to be as close to perfect as possible.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I've owned a .357 Ruger and shot my brother's .357 S&W. I found the S&W much nicer overall. I really did not like the trigger on the Ruger. I found it SO hard to pull in comparison to the Smith. There is no choice between the two. Male relatives notice the difference but it's not a deal killer for them the way it is for me.

She's better off picking it out herself, with minimal suggestions from you, except with regards to opinions on reliability, etc. There's no way for someone else to see what fits and what she can easily use. I would not be happy with anything that my husband would pick for me, and he's tried hard to look up suggestions for female shooters. I've not bought anything that he's had in mind for me, either. I do not have what I consider to be a whole lot of shooting experience, but I've shot enough to know what I don't like, and what feels right. I don't mind shooting lots of different types of weapons, even if they're what I consider tricky, quirky, or difficult - but as for my own personal weapon, it's got to be as close to perfect as possible.
    The choice is all hers I make suggestions when she asks about it. Yesterday she was eyeballing a Taurus 608 and im not sure about there guns as Ive never had experience with em.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If she cant shoot a firearm properly, giving her a .357 sounds like a terrible idea IMHO.

Ruger LCP in .357 and use .38 specials until she is proficient with that. You can buy them with crimson trace lasers built into the grips or add one later if you so choose.

If you plan to stay stainless, the security 6 is my vote too. My dad has had one my whole life, its awesome!

The LCP is .380 auto only. The LCR comes in .357, .38 and .22LR

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Since she likes yours, in case you're interested, I spotted this in the Bedford paper...

"S&W model 28-2 'Highway Patrolman' 357 mag, 6" bbl, made in 1971 or 1972, custom laminated grips & leather holster, like new, $500, (812) 849-6025"

That's a direct quote from the want-ads.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    If she cant shoot a firearm properly, giving her a .357 sounds like a terrible idea IMHO.

Ruger LCP in .357 and use .38 specials until she is proficient with that. You can buy them with crimson trace lasers built into the grips or add one later if you so choose.

If you plan to stay stainless, the security 6 is my vote too. My dad has had one my whole life, its awesome!

She shoots my Model 28 better than I do with 38s and 357s. An LCR really? A lightweight gun lacking decent sights and short barrel sounds even better. That N frame smith hardly has recoil and is a great gun for the home plus it holds one more than the LCR. She can shoot that 28 properly she needs work on autoloaders and I dont believe in lazers or batteries of any kind on my firearms. The security six would be a better choice and the LCR is more of a carry gun which she isnt interested in . . . . . yet :):

Top Bottom