My greatest regret: Not getting a open gun built by Blackdog Gunworks (a lament for a lost artist)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blowdart1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2023
    Chicago
    I remember when I was 21 years old, just getting into firearms in a big way, collecting crappy Glocks and Tokarevs, shooting, hunting, even joining (and sucking at) the occasional competition shoot (IDPA, then USPSA).

One day I'm browsing the internet, and I came across a post with a few pictures of someone showing off their new Open 2011 by a company called Blackdog Gunworks. (below)

By god I had never seen something so beautiful, a perfect blend of form and function. The lotus cut was something that I have never seen, nor have seen since, on a firearm (and by God I've done my digging). Despite the risk of sounding absolutely cringe-worthy, it seemed like the firearm version of a sword crafted by a famous medieval blacksmith, beautiful to look at, but suited to purpose. Anyhow, I did some internet sleuthing and found Brad's website and gave him a ring, asked some questions, and he was as kind as can be. I wanted to order a pistol but I was a poor College student then, and definitely couldn't afford it, but the name Blackdog Gunworks and the image of the lotus cut open gun bounced in by skull for years (saved in my phone), and I swore that once I was financially stable, I'd bring that work of art home.

However, the Lord laughs at men and their plans, and I think it was 2018 I received an email that Brad was closing his doors. From there, it felt like a goal I was working towards evaporated, and soon after I gave up on firearms altogether and sold my collection (which really wasn't worth much) and focused on other things.

Now I'm 29, I have a good career, a great wife, a mediocre house and a pretty alright baby daughter, I'm finally ready to get back into competitive shooting and looking into purchasing my own 2011 and looking at my options. But I have to live forever with the fact that I'll never be able to hold a Blackdog gunwork open pistol, never own a piece of art that goes bang.

God I wish you were still making guns Brad, and I hope you're living a good life and successful in whatever you're doing.
    download.jpeg 1691775760607.png

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Now I'm 29,

You haven't even started to dream of your greatest regret my friend. But the good news is you have plenty of time.

I'm only 36 and I wish my greatest regret was not buying a pistol when I had a chance.

Anyway, nice pistol. If I'm being totally honest not my taste. There are other craftsman out there still building beautiful works of art that go bang. Some even here on this forum

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You haven't even started to dream of your greatest regret my friend. But the good news is you have plenty of time.

I'm only 36 and I wish my greatest regret was not buying a pistol when I had a chance.

Anyway, nice pistol. If I'm being totally honest not my taste. There are other craftsman out there still building beautiful works of art that go bang. Some even here on this forum
    Yup. Take the picture and $5000 and go visit AllenM.

Top Bottom