• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    First, let me start by saying my mother was raised on a "hippe comune" of sorts near Lake Tahoe. She was raised with a pacifists and thus never really was concerned with weapons of any kind.

Long story short she is now in her 40s with a daughter just starting high school.

I have a collection of 8 firearms, 1 shotty 1 rifle 4 semi-auto and 2 revolvers.

I took em out to shoot, me and my fiance shoot often. My sister and mother both acted quite scared of the guns but I think my sister was only reacting the way she witnessed my mother acting.

With the way the world is today I want her to be trained in weapon handling and self-defense. Does anyone have some suggestions that would help me accomplish this while suffering my mothers disdain for violence?

Also-- here are my ladies numbers:

pinkwield.jpg

pink-870.jpg

pink-38.bmp

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    You can lead a horse to water......

I guess the point is, I don't think my sisters apprehension is real. My mother is mellowdramatic and I think my sister is just acting such in response to my mom.

Is there any advice in getting a younger girl to loosen up? For god sakes I got my sister wrestle.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Your Mom is around my age. You can start by getting her to just handle an unloaded fire arm. Allowing her to see it is an inanimate object that has no will or power on its own. If it can be done it will be a long, slow process. The hardest part is convincing her that it is not evil, it possesses no hatred or anger. All of that is found in the wrong type of person wielding the tool.

One of her arguments will be she has no desire to take a life, but to preserve it. You have to gently persuade her that if the need arises she will be preserving a life (hers or your sister's) by possibly taking a life.

If you kind of lean on the maternal instinct of protecting her young it will become easier.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I think I am more concerned with my sister being open to learn than my mother.

You see, I just think she is aprhensive because my mother is so mellowdramatic.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I think I am more concerned with my sister being open to learn than my mother.

You see, I just think she is aprhensive because my mother is so mellowdramatic.

That is why I said work on Mom. Sis isn't going to chance Mom finding out and going batty. So Mom is where the work is. You aren't going to bring her around to be a carrying type of person, but if you can get her to neutral then you have a better chance with Sis.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Has she shot the guns pictured? or would it be better/easier to get her started with a 22? If someone is apprehensive/scared of guns, I think it's best to start them with 22's.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Has she shot the guns pictured? or would it be better/easier to get her started with a 22? If someone is apprehensive/scared of guns, I think it's best to start them with 22's.

The guns pictured are my girl friends, and yes my sister and mother have shot both of them.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Can you take your sister shooting without your mom? See how she acts then, maybe? Maybe the way to get to your mom is through your sister. If your sister enjoys it, maybe she can change your mom's mind.

My :twocents:

MRLUCKYIRISH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Elkhart
    My Wife was scared to shoot a gun, till I borrowed my Mom's Beretta Bobcat. While at the range with some friends she shot a Walter P22. Now she is looking for her own gun. So start small and get them used to it first.

Last edited:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    It is natural to fear the unknown and what we don't understand. Education is the key and exposure to accurate information vs. propaganda. Take her shooting.

Top Bottom