• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • triharley

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    St. Anthony, IN
    First off I want to say that I did reinvent the wheel here so I am not claiming I came up with something that was never done before.

Case trimmer shaft from Gracey.......................$25
    2 Ball bearings from local store........................$10
    Case holder from Giraud tooling.......................$30
    Carbide Cutting Tool from Giraud tooling..........$30

Having an uncle that is a machinist.............PRICELESS!!

picture.php
    picture.php

As of this moment it is powered by a drill but I have a 3000 rpm motor I found on ebay for $25. Next week I will fab a mount to tie the two together.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Is that case specific like the WFT is?
    Pretty nifty is it can be used over a wide variety of calibers

triharley

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    St. Anthony, IN
    The way to control length is that your brass needs to be sized Full length first. Neck sizing can be done but a special case holder would have to be ordered from Giraud Tooling, using a few of your already Neck sized brass cases you send them. The length is than controlled by using the neck of your brass against the case holder which has been reamed to your cases dimensions.

To answer the question about being able trim other calibers is yes I can do many. I would have to order a case holder for each size which I chose to use Giraud's Case holder because I believe it is a bit better than Gracey's. Than I would just have to readjust the cutting tool for the different casing. The link below is the manual for Giraud's Manual and will explain how to setup.

http://www.giraudtool.com/Giraud%20Trimmer%20Inc.pdf

The advantage of this setup over the WFT is that the case does not need to be deburred after trimming. This is due to the design of the Carbide bit used to cut the case as you can see in this link from Bob Jones who also makes a cutter bit for the Gracey trmmer.

http://www.bjonessights.com/CARBIDE.html

Here are two links where I got the idea from, I am sure both products are built with fine quality but I couldn't see spending that much when I had the resources to build it.

GTC Trimmer
    Match Prep, Home of the Gracey Power Carrtidge Case Trimmer

I have yet to decide if I will do an inline mount for the motor, such as the Gracey, or side by side like the Giraud.

Last edited:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    WFT is the same way, cutter deburrs as you go. One thing though about my WFT is I've done around 3500 cases and the cutter is starting to get dull and I need to do a light deburring.

Pretty interesting all the way around though.
    I might have to talk to a friend of mine and see what he can come up with. He's a Machinist Engineer/ professor at USI.
    He makes all my nose punches for my RCBS Lubramatic.

Post some more pics as you get it all set up. Video of it in use would be cool also.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    very nice(i see people saing rep all the time if i new what it was or how i would give you one). i added up your costs and roughly a hundred dollars in it is awsome. were do i sign up to get the extra machined parts from your uncle. my uncle is not so handy with metal.

Top Bottom