My New Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special Revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Now get ahold of magtech give them the information about their ammunition. Save the box for upc and lot information.
    They should ask for it and the failed to fire ammunition back to check it out. Then send you some fresh ammunition in exchange to make it right.
    Never thought of that. Too bad I've already either got them to fire, or through them in the range brass bucket. Also tossed the boxes as they were empty. I do have 2 boxes of it left, though. Will collect misfires from them, and box labels.

Oh, just in case anyone is interested, of the ammo I've put through this gun, the Fiocchi 148gr Wadcutter is the weeniest round, by far. The Winchester FMJ, and Double Tap 148gr WC were the snappiest.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Thanks for posting this info and follow up! Interesting read. FWIW, I have had some accuracy and misfire issues with recent magtech 9mm in several of my semi autos (shield, M&P9c and 19 clones). I hadn't had problems in the past with .38 magtech. Either way, I don't care for the brass when reloading. It seems harder to work with and size. YMMV, and realize this is anecdotal info with a small sample size, but I avoid magtech if possible.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Thanks for posting this info and follow up! Interesting read. FWIW, I have had some accuracy and misfire issues with recent magtech 9mm in several of my semi autos (shield, M&P9c and 19 clones). I hadn't had problems in the past with .38 magtech. Either way, I don't care for the brass when reloading. It seems harder to work with and size. YMMV, and realize this is anecdotal info with a small sample size, but I avoid magtech if possible.
    Yeah, I won't be buying anymore of it. My carry load is Double Tap 148gr Wadcutter, my strips are filled w/PPU 158gr SWC (easier to load). Next? What to keep in my nightstand S&W 4" 686+.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I took my Charter Arms Off Duty to the range today. In a total of 65 rounds (no MagTech), I had no misfires. That is pretty good for a gun that came from the factory giving me 1-3 misfires per cylinder-full. Of the stuff I shot, Double Tap 148gr WC (my carry round), and PPU 158gr SWC (in my strips) had the snappiest recoil. I have seen both of the chrono'd at over 700fps.
    BTW, I put 25 rounds of the MagTech through the S&W 442, with no issues. Still won't buy any more of that. I have also ordered 100 rounds of Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense 148gr WC ammo for comparison. Advertised at 750fps out of 2" barrel. Several folks have chrono'd it in the 725 range.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Whatever you choose to carry let me bring up one little thing. Shoot them in the dark as the flash in short barrel revolvers and the flash off the cylinder gap ect is something almost everyone fails to take into account.

Most shooting for practice takes place in the day or inside at a range with lighting. Most shootings for self defense take place at night statistically.

I have a model 66 357 mag shorty I think it is 2 1/4 inch barrel and many loads will leave you flash blind for a few seconds after firing. Not an issue up close and personal but longer distances than say 7 yards are not point and pull.

I made the mistake of shooting my mother in laws skunk (she was feeding it) in her trashcan in the dark with a full load 357 federal 180 grain bullet. I had shot them in the day fine and I am big fans of heavy for caliber loadings.

I could see sometime after the smell of the skunk was everywhere I would say about 10 seconds. Now this was much more power than a 38 special and more powder but even with many of the 38 special rounds I tested after that many were flash bangs with lead included. I would say almost all plus p loads we flashy in a two inch.

I go to my handloads which are also 158 grain semi wadcutters and HP-38 powder which should get you to about 700i n (I was getting 825) a two inch and the faster powder burns without big flash. (Little left to burn off after ignition). Speer short barrel gold dots were my go to for a while for factory. Now at 1 dollar a pop I am shifting more and more to handloads.

I can not remember the old FBI speed for a 158 grain bullet to meet minimum
    But I think I was pretty close in a two inch 38 case but have since switched to 357 cases with basically the same load. I also thin Winchester 231 is the same as HP-38 but of course check tha manual for the powders.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Whatever you choose to carry let me bring up one little thing. Shoot them in the dark as the flash in short barrel revolvers and the flash off the cylinder gap ect is something almost everyone fails to take into account.

I typically use Power Pistol for my .38+P loads. It burns pretty fast, and doesn't produce the fireballs that you'll get with H110 or other slow burners, but it's still not as good as whatever factory stuff Speer is putting in their factory short barrel load. That stuff is phenomenal in the dark.

H110 on the other hand, will blow a hole in you and set you on fire at the same time. Here's a screen capture from a video of shooting my 2" 640 Pro indoors with an H110 load. You could actually see the rings of fire going downrange in real-time...I thought that was pretty cool:

52648017728_4b884c32c1_b.jpg

Top Bottom