• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    My 12 yr old great niece came over Saturday to spend the day with me while her parents were at work and I finally got her to go shooting with me. I asked her "do you want to make your dad very proud of you?" Her eyes lite up and with a big smile she excitedly asked, How? I said learn to shoot. She agreed, so after about 15 min of general firearm safety and instruction on how to operate the Ruger 10/22, I started her shooting from 50 yards. She pick up on everything very quickly, from loading the magazines to clearing a jam. After 10 minutes of watching her like a hawk and not needing to correct her even once, I backed off about 15 feet, took a seat on the ground and let her go. She was tearing up the 6 & 8 inch P-dog swingers and ground about 10 clays to dust. 350 rounds later, I got out the Mini-14. On the first round she touched off with the Mini, she let out a bit of a surprised gasp, then giggled and proceeded to empty the rest of the mag.
    When her dad arrived to pick her up, she said to him, daddy I need to show you something. She looked at me and I told her "You know what to do". So, she got the 10/22 and a box of ammo and headed out the back door. Her dad looked at me and said, Seriously?? how did you talk her into it? I replied, Ask her if she wanted to make her daddy proud. And watching his little girl load and fire a rifle all by herself did indeed make "Daddy" very proud.

Karleemini14.jpg

we're going shooting again tomorrow. I can't wait.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I absolutely love reading threads like this! Just can't get enough of hearing about, and seeing people during their first experiences with a firearm. Brings back so many memories of my Dad taking me out to shoot his .38 Police Special for the first time. :+1:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    :yesway:
    N I C E
    Thank you for sharing the joys of first time shooting.
    No doubt you made her day and a valuable life long memory!

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    It's always good to see young kids getting involved and learning how fun shooting can be. The schools teach how bad guns are but we win every time we get a kid shooting. They let their friends know how much fun it was and the torch is pasted down again. Congrats!!

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Awesome story and +1 to you sir for getting her started on hopefully a life long path of target shooting and a safe happy gun ownership for her someday

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It is fantastic to see girls out shooting and I like seeing them be posted. I think it's important so that other women/girls see there are others out there that aren't afraid of firearms.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    :+1:

Thank you for sharing! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to "introduce" to firearms, she's just turned 5 last month. She's known what they are since she was 4, and I use every opportunity that presents itself to educate her on firearm safety. She knows they're not toys, and she knows what to do if she were to ever find one.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I get the pleasure of experiancing a young persons first shot every year and watching the smile on a parents face when they hit the target the first time. Johnson County 4-H Shooting Sports is a great place for a young person to learn the safe handling, loading, cleaning and shooting of their firearm. You have never seen a bigger smile on a youth as when they bust that first clay and Dad and Mom are there to witness it.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I know this ones a bit young (she's 3), but it tough to say no to big green eyes and Peeeees Papaw? I be berry careful.

keikoMP22.jpg

P.S. I held and "aimed" she pulled the trigger. Then we had to go in so we could watch Dora.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom