• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Ok so I was out in the garden about three weeks ago and my neighbor comes over and says he man we finally got out and bought a couple guns. I had been trying to get him to get into the idea of getting firearms and practicing with them, so I'm like alright cool what'd you get? He hands me a Jimenez JA380 and a Tristar semi-auto 20ga shotgun. My thoughts were Doh! :ugh: I will admit the the shotgun seems solid and comes with three screw-in choke tubes, but I'm rambling. He asks me about the pistol and I give him the whole "Ring of Fire" spiel. So he seems a little discouraged and goes back inside to see about returning the gun which obviously I know wouldn't happen and I told him that, but he called the gun shop he bought it from and complained about the safety issues associated with the company, but to no avail. So he comes back and asks me what he should do, to which I replied, lets take it apart and see what it looks like then give it a try. it seemed well made other than the chincy firing pin/spring set up and the way you break the gun down. I finally said you know what lets just shoot it and see. He said he'll bring kevlar gloves and a face shield. I laughed, and he began to tell me about how when he called Jimenez Firearms asking them about the gun they told him not to shoot the Tulaammo .380 that he had purchased as that was the reason their guns had problems coming apart in the past. I looked at him like :n00b: when he told me this, as the ammo is just 91grn ball, I just don't see what the big deal was as the manual for the gun states to only use USA made 95grn ball ammo. I know Tula is made in Russia, I asked why it mattered where it was made in this gun and not others he said, they told him because they could have overloaded the charges on some because they don't have as many regulations as we do over here. I dunno I smell BS, but thought I would post my little story here trying to get some insight from you all. I know the gun, and it's reputation for being junk, pos, or whatever but I don't see a problem shooting Tula out of it. I doubt they could be that overloaded to cause problems if at all, but who knows? :dunno:

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I bought a Jennings .380 at a sheriff auction 30+ years ago and I still have it. After all these years not one malfunction, or breakage of any kind and it has shot and feed anything I have put through it. I take it apart and clean it after each time it has been fired. THE problem I have with it is that it is brutal to shoot, more so than any handgun I have. One would think for something so heavy for its size that would not be the case. My 44 mag is more pleasant to shoot as well as a Taurus ultra lite 38 I have. The only reason I keep it is to practice the fundamentals from time to time, trigger control, using its poor sights, recoil and back on target, etc.. A junk gun, yeah, but this one is a fine junk gun.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    I don't judge a book buy it's cover, nor do I personally consider it a "junk" gun. Why? Because I haven't shot one myself to be able to pass judgement on it. I'm am actually excited about taking it out and seeing what it's capable of. (We are heading to the range Saturday morning) Is your Jennings all steel?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I don't judge a book buy it's cover, nor do I personally consider it a "junk" gun. Why? Because I haven't shot one myself to be able to pass judgement on it. I'm am actually excited about taking it out and seeing what it's capable of. (We are heading to the range Saturday morning) Is your Jennings all steel?

Yes it is and it is heavy, well for its size. In my opinion good cleaning of this firearm is essential. The "junk gun" reference is what many people have of this brand, but the same holds true for Taurus, Charter Arms, and some other brands. Other then being brutal to shoot, and I look forward to your opinion on this matter, its been a good gun for me. I'm not recoil sensitive and a farm kid, but after 200 rounds my hands (I shoot it both right and left handed) hurt.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    You would think being all steel that the recoil would be more manageable opposed to shooting something like my LCP. I guess we'll have to find out. I'll definitely give my take on it after we take it out and get her broke in! :woot:

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Wow ok so apparently the JA380 doesn't like steel cases as it had a about 3 hang ups, it did however feed brass cased ammo reliably.
    One of the magazines I could only get four rounds into, they are six round mags. My neighbor did say he "oiled them very good" before we took them out.
    I noticed the more we shot it that it loosened up a little. I told him to take them home and clean them as best he could minus all the oil.
    We shot from about ten meters and it seemed to have about the same accuracy you would expect from a .380 gun of it's size. The sights are a little more pronounced than my LCP and actually have a decent sight picture IMO.
    I mean what can I say, my fingers are still intact, comparable accuracy to my LCP, fed alright except for steel cased, I'd say it's not a bad gun. I would not hesitate to shoot one from now on, at least this particular one, although I would not buy one for a few reasons; one being that the mag release is on the bottom in the form of a little tab that clips the magazine in when inserted.
    Two being the way you break the gun down is nothing like I've ever seen in the fact that it is a fixed barrel design, sort of like a Feg PA63, but you remove a bushing off the back of the slide almost like a backwards 1911 and the first time we took it apart it shot across the room.
    All in all if you couldn't afford anything better, it's not a bad gun for the money. Better than nothing at all, but I would have to see a lot more rounds fed reliably before I'd trust my life on it. Then again, my EDC is a .45 auto, unless for some reason that doesn't permit, I have been known to have my LCP from time to time.
    I would not say the gun is "junk" by any means, at least not this one. It did have a few design flaws IMO, but not enough to make it a pos. Just my :twocents:

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Also had to listen to the guys at the range tell me how, "That thurr tuly ammo is junk I wouldn't shoot that crap." To which I just replied well it was in stock. haha:dunno::ar15:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Also had to listen to the guys at the range tell me how, "That thurr tuly ammo is junk I wouldn't shoot that crap." To which I just replied well it was in stock. haha:dunno::ar15:

That's because most people think it corrosive for some reason. :dunno:
    I here people say that all the time when I'm buying it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    That's because most people think it corrosive for some reason. :dunno:
    I here people say that all the time when I'm buying it.
    I've had guys tell me Prvi Partizan is crap because it's "made in a third world sh**hole." Last I checked Serbia doesn't exactly fall into the category of third world. Not the most developed nation, but certainly not third world. Guess they don't like the fact Prvi works better than Remington ammo.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ok, I had bought 2 of bryco jennings. 1 is smaller model and other is alittle larger and "like" a ruger model. Shoot same rounds through both. 95 grain ball ammo.
    Bought some golden sabers and tried. (105 grain I think)
    The smaller bryco blew the barrel off and cracked the slide. The barrel was not found. The larger framed bryco fired the sabers and no incidents. I have to say that we shot the larger one first and the smaller one second. It was a total surprise as you can imagine.
    I contacted bryco in CA and they said for me to box up remaining parts and send letter along with parts and 49.00 and they would replace weapon. I have not done this as of yet. I was warned about these weapons after I bought them.
    Take this as it is. I don't have any pearls of wisdom. I leave shell of gun out and should a would be robber want to grab it and run, good luck for them. I tell my family this is why you don't want a 100.00 gun for protection or practice. I have not sold the other bryco because I don't dislike someone enough to sell it to them. I hate that I bought these weapons. Maybe nothing will ever happen to the other one but I will find out should it is the last gun left or available. Good luck.

Top Bottom