• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The good: went in with a friend of mine and bought a small collection. He got a RC k98 and a FR-8, and I got a Yugo 24-47, K31, and a Mosin. The k98, 24/47, and Mosin were still in cosmolene, other than having the worst wiped off the external surfaces. Cost us $350 each.:D

The bad: the person we bought the rifles from had stored them in his basement were they had been exposed to moisture.:xmad: A lot of rust was taking hold on external surfaces and anything in the white. The Mosin was probably in the best shape, just had some on the bolt and a few specks here and there on blued surfaces. Only took about 30 minutes to get it de-rusted. The 24/47 had a lot of rust on the bolt and buttplate, with some on the rear site, barrel bands, and left side of the barrel. None under the wood but it was still slathered in cosmo. The K31 unfortunately was probably in the worst shape of them all. The bolt and mag were basically rusted in place and required some force to remove. Fortunately the bore looks good, a basic cleaning didn't show any rust. Also the stock had been refinished and has a couple of minor splits near the buttplate. I've been scrubbing on the bolt parts most of the morning and so far this afternoon and it is still crusty looking.

The better: The 24/47 has a brand new barrel and stock. I mean the bore on this thing is absolutely beautiful. I held it up to a light after getting the grease out, which was no small feat in itself, and was almost blinded. Other than proofing, I really doubt it saw another round. The Mosin is a 1943 dated M38, in correct stock and no counterbore.

Here's a couple of pics of the K31 with most of the crud removed:
    dscf0049d.jpg

dscf0050ez.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice Score! If he gets tired of the FR8 can I have it???!!!!

:): Yeah, that is if I don't get it first!
    Anyway, I was wrong on the M38, its a 1944 and not a '43. That's what I get for going off memory. Hopefully the sun will come out one day this week and I can get some pics of the lot. Got them all back together and the Yugo and Soviet are just fine, the K31 had some serious rust in the bolt and receiver rails so the action is really rough. I'm going to see what I can do about cleaning up some of the pitting on the rails and bolt internals. Also will probably end up refinishing the stocks on the M38 as the moisture got under the shellac causing it to bubble and flake and the K31 as it was done very poorly.

Top Bottom