• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I spent the weekend doing some trad climbing in Kentucky. I thought I'd share some pics.

b1e71edb.jpg

92ff6fa9.jpg

2a1a36c5.jpg

d38741d9.jpg

d3c3f014.jpg

a9cb1ee0.jpg

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Trad climbing is one of the harder and more dangerous types of climbing.

My advice is to start with a climbing gym and give it a try indoors. You can learn the basics of top rope climbing and see if you like it. Gyms will also rent you the gear you need so you won't have to invest in anything.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Great Pics Shay!
    I did a bit of that in younger years.
    Reminds me of what my daddy always told me..."Don't get no higher than pickin' corn or lower than diggin' taters"
    I didn't listen then either.
    OH, he also said..."You ain't gonna whup nuttin' whut lays down to fight" I still ain't listening...

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Every time I drive by that place, I tell my wife, "we should go there one day!" I've always wanted to try it out, just never got around to stopping.

Pretty much the same thing here, I always say I'd like to try that place out but never have......:noway: I need to get my bum in gear and start doing all this stuff I always hear myself saying "That'd be cool to try/do".

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Sweet! I'd love to.

I probably should start training harder to do more pullups and chinups.

It never hurts to be stronger, but keep in mind that women are often better climbers than men are when they first start out. Guys try to do pullups on every hold and get tired quickly. Women can't do that so they climb more with their legs and use more technique and therefor fatigue less quickly.

Your fingers/grip will probably be the first thing to go when you are climbing for the first few times.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I've never climbed up a cliff but I've rappelled down a few. I always figured with gravity on your side it was easier to go down. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    It never hurts to be stronger, but keep in mind that women are often better climbers than men are when they first start out. Guys try to do pullups on every hold and get tired quickly. Women can't do that so they climb more with their legs and use more technique and therefor fatigue less quickly.

Your fingers/grip will probably be the first thing to go when you are climbing for the first few times.
    Yep, if you want to work out for climbing, work on finger and grip strength before you start working on pullups.

Back when I was climbing I used to walk around the gym carrying 45lb plates by my fingertips and doing finger curls. Work on toe and calf raises for the same reason... and lunges and squats, and lots of stretching/flexibility exercises.

Top Bottom