• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I signed up my wife for training with Sheriff Ken Campbell of Boone County's intro to defensive pistol (all ladies) class and today was her first day. She has been to the range with me, but was still timid and worried about handling her weapon. She came home and said that she actually enjoyed the class. She was practicing her dry fires and is much more confident handling her pistol. She has a G19 (with a pink hogue grip sleeve).
    She made the comment that there were several women with revolvers in the class and that she thought that they looked harder to use than her automatic. I told her that some guys think that automatics are too "complicated" for a lady to handle, and that a revolver is simpler, but that it is a bunch of hooey. Revolvers have their own set of issues to deal with, they are just different than automatics. I am glad that she trusted me when we picked out her gun and didn't listen to the salesman who tried to sell her a snubby revolver with a pink handle. She got a real weapon, and a pink handle to boot.
    Can't wait to hear about her day tomorrow. All day on the range, no classroom. Cant wait to get her to the range and see what she learned.:rockwoot:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Sounds like she had fun & got some really good experience, I know that my wife loves taking the NRA "Women on Target" class, so much so that she tries to go every year & she always tries to bring along a bunch of her female friends, coworkers & family members with her to the class.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We recently traded my wife's Ruger SP101 in .38+P for a Glock 26 in 9mm. While there are some ballistical advantages to the .38+P over the 9mm round, my wife said the G26 (with a pinky extension) felt more comfortable in her hand...which can make a HUGE difference when firing it. We ended up buying a G19 mag and putting an A&G gri spacer on it, giving it a 'full-sized grip' feel. My wife loves it (I do too)!

9mm RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Defensive Pistol Training

Well, I finished the 2 day all women class. I had a great time and would highly recomend Ken Campbell's class to everyone! Before this class I was scared of guns. I was a nervous reck to shoot one--shot with my eyes closed. Which is a very bad, bad idea. Now I know how to handle them safely and I'm not scared of them anymore. And most important, I keep an eye open when I shoot now. I can actually hit the target fairly close to where I'm aiming. The instuctors were very patient with me and made the class very fun. I still need a lot of work on my aim but at least I'm hitting the target now and I'm looking forward to show my husand (peashooter) what I've learned. Hopefully we can go to the range sometime soon. I'm very glad my husband signed me up for the class. So if you know of any women who are scared or intimidated by guns like I was this class would be great for them!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sweet! It's really great to see comments like this. What'd he have you do in the class? Did anything stick out more than anything else in helping overcome the shyness with guns?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    That's awesome!!! Congrats on finishing the class and stepping up your accuracy too. Welcome to :ingo: I am trying to get my mom and sister down to the range to do some shooting and ultimately into some training.

9mm RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    I think I got over my shyness because I was not intimidated. I was with 18 other women with the majority of them never shooting before so I felt we were all in the same boat. The instructors went very slow and walked us throu everything. I thought there would be yelling due to it was being taught by the sheriff and 2 deputies, but there was no yelling. In fact the instructors very funny. For me, being with all women really helped.

Barrn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Plainfield
    Both my daughters were in this class also. They had very little shooting experience. I had been encouraging them to enroll for almost a year. They finally agreed when I offered to pay for it. They both used Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm's.

They had a great time and they are glad they did it. Their fear of guns is now replaced with confidence in the gunhandling skills they learned in the class.

Sheriff Ken Campbell does an excellent class.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    For rifle marksmanship training, try the appleseed shoot. Women shoot for free. I took my wife to one last year (she was very inexperienced with firearms), and she ended up having a great time. It's 2-days of shooting - we just used .22's to save on ammo and they teach the basics (position, breath control, sight alignment, etc). Fantastic class.

9mm RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    My husband just went to an appleseed shoot and really enjoyed it. He plans to take our son to one soon. I don't know when I'll go due to we have 2 daughters who aren't quite ready for an appleseed yet and I need to stay home with them. When they are ready we will go as a family.

Top Bottom