• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    My wife recently received her lifetime carry license (applied first of year). So we decided she needed to pick out something to get her started on.

She is a novice to firearms My Dad and I took her to the range a few months ago and she took rather kindly to a small Heritage Arms .22LR single action.

When picking out her first gun she wanted something comparable in manageability but with a little more oomph and, of course, concealable. We found something to learn the fundamentals with and to get her accustomed to CC methods.

Granted it is not the most effective choice, but as a first step I am satisfied she is well equipped. Below is a picture of her new Taurus 941, .22 win mag.

t941.jpg

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Great choice! After carrying this she can move up in caliber with a similar weapon.

That was my thought exactly. End result (in my ideal scenario) is she ends up carrying something like the Ruger LCR in .357. Then she can train with .38 wadcutters and move up to the hot manstoppers for carry.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Congrats on her taking the first step. It is an awesome experience to train, and become more familiar with, and comfortable around firearms!

np241or

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Nice, my wife too likes a revolver, simple and nice in size.She is comfortable with a 38.

erictorp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    That will shoot a nice fireball with a barrel that short. You say it's not an effective choice, but I wouldn't want to get shot with a 22 mag. It is going to be loud enough to scare the crap out of any fellow perps not in the sights. I think its a great choice, something that she will be able to hold on target in an adrenaline surging situation.

sonofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valparaiso Indiana
    That was my thought exactly. End result (in my ideal scenario) is she ends up carrying something like the Ruger LCR in .357. Then she can train with .38 wadcutters and move up to the hot manstoppers for carry.

You don't think it would be beneficial for her to train with what she is going to carry? My point is, I don't think it's a good idea to train with 38 and carry 357. In the event of an emergency, yout don't want any surprises

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    Congrats!
    My wife picked her first yesterday also. She walked out with a Sig P238 and proceeded to send rounds down range a few hours later. All on target!

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    You don't think it would be beneficial for her to train with what she is going to carry? My point is, I don't think it's a good idea to train with 38 and carry 357. In the event of an emergency, yout don't want any surprises

I meant as in train up to full 357 for carry. Start on .38 wads since they are tamer and move on up to eventual full 357.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I like the .22 mag round but it seems like it has gone extinct. My wife would like to have her first gun - probably a revolver - but I really don't want to have to scrounge for another caliber. She may just have to go with 9mm. Anybody own a 9mm revolver?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with the 38 for defense. You need to try some 148gr wad cutters. They will do some serious damage at across the room distances. They will do or exceed what a 9mm will do. Just stay away from the 158gr round nose lead. They will just make a 38 caliber hole through who it hits. They don't expand. The wad cutters do expand. The 125gr JHP + P in 38 special is a great round also. A little sharper on recoil then the wad cutters.

Last edited:

INGrandad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Got a daughter that I've been looking to buy a gun for. Not much written about the .22 magnum, but what I have seen is fairly favorable.

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    That's awesome. When my wife and I were dating she had never fired a gun and now she has more than I do! Just watch how you answer "does this dress make me look fat?" knowing she's packing ;)

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    You could look at the .257 Fed Mag or .32 H&R mag. As they shoot as soft as the .22 mag from one of my daughters. My daughter will not shoot the .357 or real hot +P+ .38 sp. She said that they hurt the web of her hand.

Top Bottom