• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My wife just got her LTCH. We plan on taking NRA basic pistol and shooting several different guns to figure out what she wants. I was hoping some experienced ladies could give me a short list of guns they enjoy shooting/carrying. I can't afford to rent every gun for her to try so I was hoping for a list of 5 or so that people would recommend.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    I'm not a lady, but I'll share what my wife shot to make her choice, the reasoning for them.

Glock compact
    Glock subcompact
    FNX
    XD compact

FNX for DA/SA & Glock/XD for grip size/weight distribution/sight picture differences.

She shot one magazine through each after we spent time going over the mechanicals and sight pictures.

FNX was by far the most accurate, but she choose a Glock compact for simplicity. She did like the XD for the idea of an extra safety on the grip and more obvious LCI, but liked the Glock in the hand better.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Go for a revolver, but don't put anything hot in it. Unless she's been shooting all her life and likes recoil. If she likes pretty things, go for a charter arms that's lavender or pink or blue, etc. if she doesn't care, then take a wide choice.

Revolvers
    Charter arms series
    S&w lady smith
    Ruger LCR
    Go American!

Semis
    S&w shield
    Ruger lc9 (maybe lcp?)

Just remember smaller guns have more recoil so unless she's use to recoil, just bear that in mind.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This topic periodically pops up. You can do a search and read the old responses, which are probably still valid.

The best response I've seen is "let your wife/girlfriend/sister decide for herself." Take her to a course where she can shoot a bunch of guns. She may not be able to shoot everything under the sun, but we all started somewhere, right? I'm sure she'll find something that works for her. It's an individual choice, after all. I know a woman who can't handle the recoil on a Glock 17, but she can shoot her 1911 all day long.

LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    KUDOS to your wife for deciding to carry. I'm a woman and have been a concealed carry holder for over 25 years. I recently retired my Lady Smith in 357 mag for a Glock 23 Gen 4 (40 S&W) and LOVE IT! Wanted more rounds in the event they would be needed. I find the 23 a bit difficult to conceal with some outfits, dresses, skirts, etc. when I must carry in my purse, but for my regular casual wear, jeans and a loose fitting top, it hides perfectly in a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB holster. My choice for the Glock 23 was reliability, more rounds (it comes with three mags) and the fit and feel of the gun in hand, the smaller sub-compact Glocks just weren't comfortable for me as I have rather large hands for a woman. I was also pleased to find that the recoil is minimal. I agree with others here to have your wife try as many pistols as possible, let her decide which is most comfortable, then practice, practice, practice. Good luck to you both!

Top Bottom