• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    So after much internet research, many gun articles, youtube videos, online forums and reviews, I took the plunge and launched a couple of Benjamins at this nifty little pistol. I've long been infatuated with Derringers and small pistols as a matter of novelty. I'd previously sworn off all pocket pistols and small caliber handguns as a matter of principle. It turns out that I was wrong as there truly is a niche to be filled by these little devils. I caved on my "large frame only" stance and have since picked up an LCP which is pretty much always with me, hence, the strength of these pocket pistols. While the Mini is not my first, 2nd or 3rd choice of self defense, it does fill a nice void as a last ditch effort of self preservation against BG's and the occasional snake while fishin'

I picked up my mini this evening and when I opened the case, I had to giggle. I'm not sure why, but this revolver just cracks me up. That's not to say that this is a toy or a gun to be taken lightly, by any means, it will kill you, dead. However, the dainty profile of the revolver just makes you smile. That smile continued onto the range, after an order of arms was performed by my gun shop, explaining the finer details.

First, the mini is a 5 shot, single action revolver. There is no speed loader and the cylinder must be removed to load your ammo. There is a retaining pin on the under side of the barrel and at the end of said pin, there is a button to push which releases the pin from the revolver. Make sure your hammer is in 1/4 cock position and this will allow the cylinder to freely travel in and out of the frame. The retaining pin is also is used to push fired casings from the cylinder.

There are safety notches in which the hammer can be placed so that you do not let the hammer rest on a primer of a live round. This is a matter of much debate, with some folks insisting that they've had there mini's come out of the safety notch to allow said hammer to rest on a live shell. THIS IS A BIG NO NO. I personally will give up a round and rest my hammer on an empty chamber as a trade off, but I'm a cautious person by nature. You can make your own decision regarding this matter, should you choose to pick up one of these in the future.

I then proceeded to the firing line and after a get to know you session, I loaded Mini. The first shot down range was a somewhat surprising as the little revolver nearly jumped out of my hand (fingers) A warm gust of gas caressed my thumbnail and inner index finger and I caught a decent muzzle flash out of the corner of my eye. After my first 5 shots, I had a pistol at a 45 degree angle in my hand, black smudge on my thumb and index finger and my target mocked me, unblemished. NOTHING, 3 yards out, I whiffed, not even paper. My smile faded as I quickly began to wonder if I could figure this little guy out.

I removed the cylinder and checked my grip angle. The bore axis was pointing up at a steep angle, I don't think that the bullet holes in the ceiling were mine as there are a few on that lane, but at this point, I can't rule it out either. I'm no novice with a gun, but the Mini does require some motor skills and handling techniques to figure out.

After some adjustments, I started getting rounds on target. I strictly view this pistol as a point and shoot, for me, and I treated it as such. I gripped the pistol in one hand, brought my shooting hand down just above waist level and tried to "look" the round on target. I was pretty pleased because that technique seemed to do the trick. The firing process became non visual and completely a feel process. After getting the hang of it, I was peppering the target very nicely at 3 yards. I wasn't a bullseye shooter by any stretch, but center mass was the norm and that's all could hope for in a real life scenario.

The mini became familiar and even so, there is so little grip to hang onto, the gun is always going to be jumpy with a one handed grip. I found the trigger pull decent and the hammer could be pulled back while holding the mini one handed.

All in all, I really love this gun. This would not be a first line of defense, but was a nice addition to round out my toolbox. This truly is a go anywhere revolver and suited for the deepest of deep concealment. At 4.5 oz and just over 4 inches long, the NAA mini revolver is about the same size as a pocket knife. This is not a complete overview, but a first impression of my NAA Mini.

Happy shooting.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Nice review, a friend has one of these little critters but I haven't shot it. Sounds like fun.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    go to NAA site and get this grip....it makes a lot easier to hang on to....nice right up...

34y45sl.jpg

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm glad you like it! So many people seem to want to put these little guys down. But the fact is, when you need have to have a firearm in an extremely concealable situation, these guys are awesome! Granted, they are not the best, firepower wise, but certainly better than nothing if things got bad.

Personally, I love my Pug! Being a cross country runner it is the only gun that will travel with me safely and completely concealed, that does not bounce around and cause discomfort.

Congrats on your purchase!

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    I started with a 22 lr
    Less then a month after I got a pug with both cylinders
    Since then the pug is in my back pocket 24/7
    Naa has a good forum where you can find custom holsters and a lot of info

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I love my NAA's. If you paractice with them you can get pretty darn good even with the little grip. I like the oversize grips on mine. My Black Widow is very accurate and with the Folding Holster grip it feels like a full size gun and I can shoot it as well as any gun that I have shot. With the new Crit. Def. Amo that hornady came out with, these guns in 22 mag is a real option. I ride alot on 2 wheels and a small firearm is the only option. Jim
    S2010006-1.jpg

BW-F2.jpg

BW-F1.jpg

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Hey SubicWarrior was this at the Applied Ballistics range on Saturday? if so that was the wife and I you talked with toward the end!

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Hey SubicWarrior was this at the Applied Ballistics range on Saturday? if so that was the wife and I you talked with toward the end!

Hey, small world. It was me and it was good talking to you and the Mrs. The final verdict is that I ended up really liking the pistol after getting used to it. If we should cross paths at Applied anytime, you're more than welcome to give the Mini a trial run. Be prepared to use the de leading soap afterward. :)

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Rep given for a nice review! I love these little revolvers. I have the Pug, and I think I shoot it better than the regular-grip mini that I used to own. The rubber grip isn't much bigger or harder to conceal, but makes it easier to handle, and the sights are much easier to use. I think the heavier barrel, though short, may actually make the balance of the little gun a bit better.

A while back I was looking for a derringer to load with snake shot for mowing/hiking, but decided on the Pug instead. 5 rounds single action beats 2 rounds single action any day of the week, and NAA firearms are built with much greater attention to detail than most derringers. (The Bond derringers are an exception, but are so large and heavy that they're kind of in a class by themselves, I think.)

And, as n9znd said, on two wheels, a really tiny gun is nice to have. 5 rounds of .22 mag is certainly a whole lot better than a knife or pepper spray!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a couple of these guns, one 22LR and one 22/22Mag. I think they are pretty accurate and I can get decent groups out of them. I have a pocket holster for one of them and a belt buckle for the .22. The machining on the cylinders is just amazing. All in all I think they are pretty good guns. :yesway:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Great little review of the NAA Mini! Rep' incoming for the effort....good reading.

I've owned more than one of these, and I agree with member ghitch75..... get the optional (larger) wood grip from NAA. Makes this little puppy much easier to handle and shoot, even if slightly less 'concealable'. :yesway:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Hey, small world. It was me and it was good talking to you and the Mrs. The final verdict is that I ended up really liking the pistol after getting used to it. If we should cross paths at Applied anytime, you're more than welcome to give the Mini a trial run. Be prepared to use the de leading soap afterward. :)
    Hey guy, like your Avitar. Say, how much do those little pistols cost anyway?:dunno:

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Hey guy, like your Avitar. Say, how much do those little pistols cost anyway?:dunno:

I paid 199 for my 22LR version. I bought mine from GalleryofGuns and had it sent to my local gun shop. There are a few variations at different prices that you can choose from. The NAA home page has some accessories as well like Pearl grips, holsters that can be worn as a necklace and many other odds and ends. I like this pistol more now than when I bought it.

dpetreikis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I've owned a few of these little revolvers over the years. The workmanship and quality are excellent, but I've never been able to get much accuracy out of them, and have therefore always sold them shortly after buying one. I've done it twice already. I bought another a few months ago, took it out and still can't hit much of anything with it. Think I'll hang on to it anyway, though 'cuz it's just such a NEAT little piece to have! So easy to just toss it in my pocket with my change and such...

Have no idea what the heck I'd actually USE it for, but it's nice to know it's there. And, in case I ever actually had to use a firearm to defend myself, there's always the Glock on my hip.

Top Bottom