• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When you dry practice ensure that no ammunition is near you and have a designated area to do so so you can follow the Four Rules. Have a safe backstop (I would suggest a sand barrel), put all ammo in a coffee can or bin, don't point the weapon at the neighbor's home.

Remember, it is a gun and thus not safe.

Incidents like this are very personal for me. 16 years ago I saw photos of a 5 year old girl with her head split open from an SKS from an individual who was mad at his boss and decided to fire 3 rounds from his SKS into his own house and killed his step-daughter to "let off some steam". When interviewed by the cops he claimed that he did not realize that the bullets would penetrate that much of the house.

Every incident like this hurts us. We all have a duty to mitigate the harm we cause to others. Ezz gon, eez not safe.

Quickdraw practice puts bullet in neighbor's house » Kitsap Sun

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the reminder Kirk!

Too bad that common sense is not that common, that the reason why most NDs happen.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Kirk, I agree with you and firmly believe that unnecessary handling of a firearm is just increasing the odds of having an issue. I personally try and keep it to a minimum, and I carry every day.

I do have a minor issue with this statement: "Remember, it is a gun and thus not safe" as that could be stated about any object.
    "Remember, it is a "car/rock/stick/lighter" and thus not safe.

I 100% get where you are coming from, and the intent of the statement, but it is imparting a characteristic to an object that unless it is defective is not really a descriptor that I would put on it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Eez gon, ezz not safe comes from the writings of Jeff Cooper. Col. Cooper wrote about a visitor from the Evil Empire at the School of Infantry. The EE defector was discussing various EE small arms in accented English.

An attendee told the defector that it [the weapon] did not look safe to him. The EE defector advised "eez gon, ezz not safe."

The point being that deadly weapons are deadly. They only have one job--to shoot.

The notion that I can "just load it in the parking lot", wave it around Broad Ripple, unload it in the gun shop, dry practice in my living room, inter alia since someone it ceases to become a gun since I am unloading it in the parking lot is moronic and the way people got shot.

Always remember that the gun is not safe. It is not designed to be safe.

Treat your weapon with respect, not complacency and no one gets hurt.

"Common sense" does not cut it. "Common sense" will get you and others hurt. We need education not common sense.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Common sense" does not cut it. "Common sense" will get you and others hurt. We need education not common sense.

Generally I agree with you, but without common sense, even an EDUCATED PERSON can be a complete idiot. I work in Higher Ed. And I am convinced, common sense is anything but common.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Allow me to clarify, education as to firearms, not Mechanical Engineering or Chemistry PhDs at Purdue.

LOL.....good point. My point is this though, common sense can't be taught....you either have it or you don't. (At Least I have no idea on how you WOULD teach it).

Common sense would dictate that a person get firearms training if they were going to use a gun. Now, with that said, I have seen folks with extensive firearms training acting stupidly with a gun.

If the world had more common sense, we wouldn't need warning labels telling people to not stick their hands under a push mower while it's operating. Or to not use your microwave to dry your cat.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    "Based on the trajectory, deputies determined the bullet came from the neighbor's house. An exit hole was found in the home's siding.
    The shooter initially denied he had fired a gun. Only after deputies showed him the bullet hole in his house did he admit to the shooting."

How does the legal issue work when you start off the interview by lying to police officers? I'm guessing the neighbors will not be watching his cat anymore while on vacation.

I think this is another example of a Glock "throwing its voice" and blaming the XD. For all you glock lovers, it's gotta be refreshing to see a ND with an XD. I would like to point out that he was practing with the XD which seems like his EDC but owned a glock as well. Not that this genius is who I want representing XD owners, but wanted to stir the puddin' a bit.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I do have a minor issue with this statement: "Remember, it is a gun and thus not safe" as that could be stated about any object.
    "Remember, it is a "car/rock/stick/lighter" and thus not safe.
    I've got to agree with this statement.

"A gun is not safe" is spewed by the liberal media as a justification why they should be controlled more closely.

You treat it as loaded when handling. You safety check it every time you pick it up. The gun itself, is just a passive participant.

Top Bottom