• ...and so much more!
  • S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Here's the short & sweet: Got a buddy that needs money (yeah , we all got those friends), anyway, he's got up for collateral a Ruger P85DC or Ruger P89DC for me to hold until payback.

What I needs to know is what's the Blue Book value of these two Rugers at the 95% level. The gun's never been fired, he just doesn't know which one he has (P85 or P89DC). I guess the P85DC has an outstanding recall but that's all I know.

I just don't want to get stuck with a brick if I don't have too, ya know!!! He's looking to borrow 'bout $400.00. It's unfired, complete as NIB plus 2 mag's.

What ya'll think it's value is??

Tanks......

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You might check gunbroker to see what they are selling for. Search for closed auctions on each pistol just to get an idea.

Remember, ignore the open auctions with no bids. Only bid on or purchased firearms are what people will pay. No bid auctions really are useless in determining value.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Blue Book is the 30th edition (2009). What I see is...

P85
    100% 98% 95%
    $375 $315 $280

Other notes: Any P85 without "MKIIR" stamped on left or right side of the safety needs to be returned to Ruger for a free safety modification.
    Subtract $30 if no case and extra mag
    -------------------------------------------
    P89
    100% 98% 95%
    $380 $330 $280

Other notes: DC (decocking) version was available at no extra charge
    Subtract $30 if no case and extra mag

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Class B Misdemeanor

Ummm....

IC 35-47-4-2
    Loans secured by handguns
    Sec. 2. A person who makes a loan secured by a:
    (1) mortgage;
    (2) deposit; or
    (3) pledge;
    of a handgun commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
    Just sayin'...

If he's looking to sell, let me know, I've been on the lookout for a DC.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    All legality aside - regardless of condition, I wouldn't "spend" more than $175 on the deal. There is absolutely no demand for those guns and it wouldn't be an easy sell - especially when you can buy the current model with all of the bugs worked out for $315 from Buds.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So the pawn shop gets around this how?

The pawn shop owns it, it's not collateral. If they sell it before you buy it back at a higher price, then too bad.

The same *might* apply in this situation... If both parties agree that this is the situation, then nothing illeagal has occured. This is one case where going to an FFL to do the transfer might actually be beneficial. The FFL can always transfer it back too. Actually the FFL's records would likely be admissible evidence for a denfense. A Bill of Sale? Hard to say, since you manufactured the evidence, it could be argued that parties were in collusion, and that they intended all along that the gun would be given back upon repayment of the "loan."

Especially since this was posted was in a public forum outlining the original intent of the transaction.

Doesn't he have a fishing boat or something that could be used as collateral? Or a rifle?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom