• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm at my wits end on these and really need to find someone in central Indiana who specializes in this kind of thing I can take them to.

First, Colt 1903 .32 manufactured around 1907. The gun has an intermittent problem where pulling the trigger will not drop the internal hammer. I will get a faint little click but it won't actually fire. Pull the trigger enough times and it eventually does fire. Happens with live and dry fire. Ejects and chambers fine.

I have tried ruling out the grip safety by zip tying it down. I have tried ruling out the disconnector by dry firing with the slide off. Neither affected the problem. I took it to one gunsmith who claimed to solve the problem by cleaning rust out of it, but did not. I have not personally detail stripped this gun and really don't want to.

Second, Colt Gen 3 Detective Special manufactured around 1973. The action will intermittently hang and bind up during firing. This occasionally happens during dry fire but happens once or twice per cylinder during live fire. It requires an extremely heavy yank on the trigger to pull past, usually pinching the hell out of my trigger finger and missing the target.

I detail stripped the gun and cleaned and oiled everything. It wasn't caked in gunk or anything, and this did improve dry fire action a little, but did not solve the problem. I cannot readily identify what's going on. The ammunition has a whisper of headspace against the breech face so I don't think cartridges are dragging as it revolves. Also it shoots high and consistently left even off a bench.

So I'm 0-2 on collector Colts. I really like both guns and want to get them sorted, but have reached my limit on diagnostic knowledge here. Who does stuff like this around the region?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This is in regard to your 1903. I haven't seen Geronimo Joe post in awhile. I requested this pistol for his thread on assembly.
    Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Highsmith in Greenfield Ind Just east of Indy has a gunsmith that comes in and I have heard good things but have no experience dealing with him. I know the shop is good though so I'm sure he probably is as well

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Whatever is wrong with your 1903 will likely require a look at everything in the grip frame. These guns are not hard to take apart, but can be a little tricky to put back together.

Your revolver may just be something wedged under the ejector star or something bent. Try holding it up to a light look closely at the cylinder/barrel gap and see if this changes at all when you cycle the DA. Take a look under the star for something foreign and make sure it seats flush and easily.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom