• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK, so in the research I have already done, I've determined that I have a Norinco type 56 SKS made at the triangle 26 plant, My serial number (stamped after Tri-26, and the three characters) is D24138587. stock, mag and receiver all match. I believe that this makes it somewhere between '76 and '81, but that's where I get confused.... I'm wondering if my serial is actually only the 38587, which would put it in 1956, which kind of makes sense, as it is a type 56, and the matching serials on everything only list the 38587.

So, what is my serial? and is the Norinco a decent SKS? any known issues? it seems well put together and solid, if a little neglected... partially my fault, partially the fault of my father. either way there is still a lot of cosmo that I need to melt off with steam, so.... any advice on this (hopefully?) fine weapon?

Thanks in Advance!!

JAPartridge

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Hey japartridge, it was nice meeting you yesturday at the SKS shoot. On cleaning the cosmoline. You have some options.
    1) do you have access to a parts cleaning tank. If so take off of the wood. Field strip it. use a parts cleaning brush and clean the hell out of it. don't be afraid of hurting it.
    2) use lots q-tips and hoppie's cleaning solvent and lots of time and elbow grease.
    Either way have fun with it. :welcome:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Chickenman it was great meeting you and everyone else as well. I'm hoping that I can figure out what I should do with this SKS... I'm thinking a nice SHTF gun with a folding synthetic stock, 20 round mags, trigger job, maybe a refinish of the metal, etc.... I know, I've got grandiose ideas for my first build! LOL

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    On cleaning your gun, it would interesting to hear how others do that same task. The gentleman I bought my yogo sks from said he used mineral sprits. After yesturday shoot, I spend two hours on cleaning the rest of the comoline from the nook and crannys of that gun.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    OK, so in the research I have already done, I've determined that I have a Norinco type 56 SKS made at the triangle 26 plant, My serial number (stamped after Tri-26, and the three characters) is D24138587. stock, mag and receiver all match. I believe that this makes it somewhere between '76 and '81, but that's where I get confused.... I'm wondering if my serial is actually only the 38587, which would put it in 1956, which kind of makes sense, as it is a type 56, and the matching serials on everything only list the 38587.

So, what is my serial? and is the Norinco a decent SKS? any known issues? it seems well put together and solid, if a little neglected... partially my fault, partially the fault of my father. either way there is still a lot of cosmo that I need to melt off with steam, so.... any advice on this (hopefully?) fine weapon?

Thanks in Advance!!

JAPartridge

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    Norincos from factory 26 are pretty good. Good luck dating it though. The Chinese did a **** poor job of record keeping. This is why Norincos will never be C&R. A great resource to give you the best chance of approximating the date is yoopers.com that guy knows his stuff about every maker of the SKS. Good luck!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have looked into yoopers, very helpful, both yoopers and SKS survivor... very helpful... it's how I got as much of the info that I've found... just trying to figure out my serial number to get a little closer to the manufacture date.

Gaffshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    I bought my Norinco on my 18th birthday. I didn't remove the cosmo as I thought it was the lube/grease which was supposed to be on there for proper funtioning. That was 20 years ago and a couple thousand rounds later. Still going.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    wow, I would have never thought it would function that well with the cosmo still on it! I've got some work that needs done on the barrel, surface rust! note to self; do not store un-cased rifle in garage!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Well all last night after a little too much TV time, I tracked down a Youtube vid and broke down my Norinco last night. cleaned up about 80% of the cosmo, think I got all the surface rust removed as well. I also, at least for now, removed the B-Squared scope mount; no scope for it, so why bother. Was looking at Tomcats pawn yesterday, man I'm hoping they are just really pricey on their SKS'. $350 for a beat to h*ll Norinco without matching serials! Now I just need to find somewhere to blast a few rounds through it! any volunteers of land? :D

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    You can also use kerosine to cut that cosmoline off with. Cheaper than mineral spirits. I've got a Norinco SKS and am really happy with it. I'm keeping my original. I'm thinking of geting one of those WASR10 for a wild looking rifle.

Top Bottom