• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hi all,

I do believe that I'm about to sell my old car in a face-to-face transaction in the very near future.

I've never done this before...not sure how to correctly handle filling out the title?

I know that I as the seller fill out the appropriate sections on the "seller" section. But do I fill out the "purchaser information" on there or let the buyer do that? Ask that they fill that in in my presence?

What do I do with the license plate that's on there? We just bought a new-to-us minivan and still have the temp tags... Can we just use the old plate from the car I'm selling and transfer that to the van?

Take the plate off and leave the new buyer of the car "naked" as I obviously can't provide a dealer plate?

Leave it on there and keep the current registration with the vehicle?

I DO already have a simple bill-of-sale printed out. One copy will stay with me, one will go with the buyer. I've at least got that covered.

Experience and/or advice for me will be greatly appreciated!

-J-

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    first off the title is self explanitory.. either of you can fill it out. it just has to be done correctly. buyes/sellers name, amount, date..etc
    and second off you keep your license plate. it is yours.. you paid for it. if i was you i'd save a little money take the plate and regestration to the BMV and get the plates transfered to your new van, instead of getting all new.

the buyer needs a current bill of sale, and the title and he/she will be fine if pulled over. but this is only good for i believe 3 days?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    and don't forget if you don't know the person buying the vehicle.. meet them in a public location.. and be prepared! ;)

that's unless they're on INGO and have a good rep!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You fill out your section (ie owners section), all of the owners sign it (ie if your name and wifes name is on the title, you both sign). You also fill out the mileage if its not exempt.

You fill out the sales amount, fill out the date, and the buyer fills in their info as well.

The buyer will need to put a license plate on the car, from another car if possible. This isn't required, but it is recommended by every LEO Ive ever asked. After that they have 30 days from the date of sale to get it registered and insured.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    the buyer needs a current bill of sale, and the title and he/she will be fine if pulled over. but this is only good for i believe 3 days?

This part is NOT TRUE, most poeple think it is. You can and may be pulled over and get a ticket for no plate.

I have been pulled over for no plate before. I had gotten the truck a few days ago and the BMV was closed when I picked it up, they were closed the next day for election day, then closed the next day because they were closed every Wed. at that time. I was not given a ticket, but could have been.:rockwoot:

Keep your plate, its yours.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You fill out your section (ie owners section), all of the owners sign it (ie if your name and wifes name is on the title, you both sign). You also fill out the mileage if its not exempt.

You fill out the sales amount, fill out the date, and the buyer fills in their info as well.

The buyer will need to put a license plate on the car, from another car if possible. This isn't required, but it is recommended by every LEO Ive ever asked. After that they have 30 days from the date of sale to get it registered and insured.

Call your insurance agent and get your insurance off before the buyer takes possession..... If not, you are responsible . I'm pretty sure he must have his own insurance immediately.... Unless he is replacing another insured car with this one.(not positive on this) ( not your problem)

We are all assuming you have possession of the title and there is no Lien on it!( no loan, you owe nothing on it).

Many people will help the buyer out by letting him write in the selling amount...let's say you sell the car for $1000... He puts $300 for the sales price.... Saves him on sales tax! ( not saying it's o.k., just that I've known it to be done many times....and yes I've done it! I've also gone 65 mph in a 55 mph zone... Come arrest me!!!! )

NO! NO! NO! ... Do NOT leave your plate on! As long as he has the title with him in case he gets stopped, he is fine! (as long as it's a reasonable length of time since the sale) don't give him your plate for any reason, NO!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Dirtebiker, there's a classified add I have here on INGO for it. It's a 1991 Buick Regal Custom.

Monies haven't changed hands yet, the car is still mine until that happens! BUT, my neighbor who knows I'm selling, texted me last night and told me to "consider it sold" to someone that he knows. We'll see how that pans out!

-J-

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I agree with pretty much everything here. After a conversation with BMV (not anything official), I was informed 3 days to drive it and get plated/insured as long as I had bill of sale and title signed/dated/filled out completely. My insurance covered me also within the same reasonable amount of time. In Indiana, u keep the plate (unlike some other states), if its on there and he receives a parking ticket-it is yours because it was your plate.

Take your plate and registration to the BMV, depending on number of months left u may receive credit towards new plate or credit towards a transfer. Cash is king-no checks for me and since I am paranoid I look for the stripes in every bill and use a counterfeit pen. Why? Because I've been stuck once before and I have learned the hard way.

P.S. Make sure the internal stripe on the bill matches the configuration in the corner with the normal print-scammers use 1s or 5 that are bleached out and reprinted with $100 denominations.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I did indeed think about buying one of those counterfeit money pens... If I only knew where to buy one. Office supply store like Staples?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I did indeed think about buying one of those counterfeit money pens... If I only knew where to buy one. Office supply store like Staples?

Staples should have them. Staples online shows that the Southport Staples has them in stock. Should be under $7.

Dri Mark® Counterfeit Money Detector Pen with Holder
    Item 504124
    Model 351BCL/20003520

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    The last car I sold I still owed the bank so I made them take the money. It never touched my hands... I did this because the person buying was from craigslist and brought a translator.

Everything worked out well.

So if you are nervous about the money, my vote is to do the transaction at the bank.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It ain't sold until you have cash in your hand. Keep the plate. Let the buyer fill out the buyer part of the title. Contact your insurer and tell them the car is gone. Have buyer sign and date the bill of sale...notarized is not required, but always better if you have to go to court. Pack heat in case the buyer has been snorting Mr. Bubble all day and is off his rocker.

Top Bottom