• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'll probably skip the nugget even though I've shot one a few times and think the muzzle blast alone would do the job. Fun gun but the stock beats me up too bad to do the practice I need.

No plans to handload but if I really get into this I might down the road.

We were in Colorado just a few weeks ago, dad killed a 5x5 with a Ruger 270, 150gr at just under 200 yards, I killed a 3x5 with a ruger 338 Win with a 250gr at 150 yards.

His bullet was a thru-and-thru, mine went thru some major bones, the heart, and went damned near the length of the bull, i retreived the bullet between two ribs on the opposite side.

Get a rifle and caliber you really like, one you've always wanted, maybe even a goofy caliber (Winchester Model 1895 in 405 winchester maybe?), and then shoot it a bunch, and get in good shape (thin-air sucks).

If you want to shoot a bunch, from .243 Win to 416 Rigby, drop me a PM, I'd be glad to nmeet you at the range.

Ram-jac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    West Indy
    have been out there several times hunting elk and other game. As far as elk rifles, I've noticed most of the locals using .270 and 30-06 and alot of hunters traveling in using .300 WM. My .270 has always done just fine for me but have to be sure about a good clean shot. definitely not going thru the shoulder like I've seen guys do with the .300. I'm steady with my .270 and have faith in it to do the job it's alway done. FWIW

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I personally believe in the lowest recoiling round that will do the trick. I'm a big guy and I don't mind recoil much, but everyone is a better shot with lower-recoiling rounds.

I live in Colorado and I have a single shot 308, a 270, and 7mm 08, any of which I'd use on elk.

If I were buying an elk-only rifle, however, I'd buy something in 338 Federal, maybe 358 Winchester. I won't shoot at elk over 300 yards (perfect conditions) and those rounds deliver lots of energy at those ranges.

The two perfect all around rifles for the west are the 30 06 and the 7mm mag.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I think I'll try to figure out what everyone else will be using and get something close to that. At least I won't stand out from the crowd and from the recommendations so far it seems like there are a lot of options.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think I'll try to figure out what everyone else will be using and get something close to that. At least I won't stand out from the crowd and from the recommendations so far it seems like there are a lot of options.

there are alot of opinions because alot of calibers will work just as well as the next. if you put your shot in the boiler room with a most rounds mentioned the elk doesn't know the diffrence. what has yet to be addressed is bullet selection with imo is just as important as caliber. i like barnes x bullet, but hornady, nosler, norma, and im sure there are others aswell have bullets that can do the trick

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You're likely going to be paying out of state hunting fees, and when you add your travel and lodging into the mix, it doesn't make any sense to use a cheap bullet. Your bullet choice will be far more critical than your caliber choice. Swift, Nosler, Berger, whatever you choose, choose something premium. This is not the time to mess with $1/rd soft points.

there are alot of opinions because alot of calibers will work just as well as the next. if you put your shot in the boiler room with a most rounds mentioned the elk doesn't know the diffrence. what has yet to be addressed is bullet selection with imo is just as important as caliber. i like barnes x bullet, but hornady, nosler, norma, and im sure there are others aswell have bullets that can do the trick

Hey! I did!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    If you don't have any high power rifles then the 30-06 is still pretty hard to beat for the one rifle do it all hunter.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    what has yet to be addressed is bullet selection with imo is just as important as caliber

Good advice, to pick a bullet and build around that. Bullets matter much more than specific chambering, or diameters, or grain weights. You can eliminate quite a few options out of the gate, if you figure that there is nothing to be gained from going bigger than .308". And that there are no outstanding hunting bullets in .308" or .277". Nothing, anyway, that can compare to a 162 AMax or 120 TSX in .284". Or a 120 AMax in .264". Or a 100 TSX in .257". Or 105 AMax or 85 TSX in .243".

So pick a good bullet and find a cartridge that will push it to a reasonable speed, fit into a svelte lightweight rifle, and doesn't have a case too long to seat that bullet into the lands and still fit into your svelte rifle's magazine.

Obviously this changes if you don't reload. But you are leaving quite a bit of potential on the table if you don't, to the point of really not needing to ask the question of what to buy in the first place. It would have to be on purpose that a guy buys a high powered rifle incapable of killing an elk.

The rifle isn't an easy question to answer either and there are a lot of ways to go wrong, just like with bullet selection. As above, you could buy a Kimber Montana, scope it with a non-moongazer scope, and be done. Or you go custom, and build for balance and handling, minimize weight, and pick materials that will withstand a beating from the environment.

Whatever you end up with it would be a good move to not let popularity figure into the decision too much. Popularity is a terrible indicator of good gear.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    When I was first looking into a rifle for this purpose, I also considered that I wanted to hunt Alaska someday. I got a .338 WM Winchester Model 70. It has been to Alaska and Montana and killed big animals, and punched a ton of holes at various ranges. It likes Federal Premium 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Great for elk and moose, and should a bear be on the hit list or on the offensive, I feel a lot better with a .338 than a .270. Where elk live, bears live, by and large.

movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    i just went through the same senerio and i went for broke with a 300 ultra sendero shooting 180gr scirocco factory loads topped with a gray bull cutom scope. the speed and energy of this round is what made my decision much easier it is quickly becoming my favorite gun after i dropped a nice 6x6 in wyoming i thought it would be put away till the next big game hunt but much to my friends dismay it has somehow become a coyote gun.:):

movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    i just went through the same senerio and i went for broke with a 300 ultra sendero shooting 180gr scirocco factory loads topped with a gray bull cutom scope. the speed and energy of this round is what made my decision much easier it is quickly becoming my favorite gun after i dropped a nice 6x6 in wyoming i thought it would be put away till the next big game hunt but much to my friends dismay it has somehow become a coyote gun.:):

steve479

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    fort wayne
    I am making plans to elk hunt this fall and i just purchase a weatherby vanguard 300 mag from everything i have read it will do everything i need it to do.

Top Bottom