need help choosing Bug out Bag TONIGHT(pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    hey guys i've been researching packs and thought i finally found the one i want to get: Kelty Cache Hauler Camouflage Backpack
    56.jpg

i was all set and ready to buy it, but decided to do some last minute looking around and then i discovered these packs: Cabela's: Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter Pack with Frame
    s7_515117_543_01

there are a couple of different models of the Cabela's packs here: Cabela's: Search Results

I really like the Kelty. I haven't owned any packs of this type thus far, but people seem to like Kelty a lot in general and i've heard they make good reliable packs. Once i stumbled upon the Cabela's packs though i wasn't sure. They have a lot of good reviews and I can't find any on the Kelty really.

Have you tried any of these packs? Which one would be most optimal for a B.O.B? The Kelty has 3600 cubic inches i believe and the other ones from Cabela's range from 5200+ and also include a rifle sling.

I'm really uncertain here guys. Help a brotha out:smileak:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    kelty makes quality stuff for sure. i have had a couple packs and a tent from them. all held up well and functioned great. as far which of the above packs is better i can't answer.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My brothers both have Calelas packs, they have worked well for long 4-5 day hiking trips as well as Elk and Mule Deer hunts in the Rockies. You can't go wrong with Cabelas.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    You can't go wrong with either, but the Cabelas is the olny one I've seen loaded with 80 lbs of dead elk. You can drive to the Hammond store, they'll load it with 50# of stuff, and let you walk around for an hour if you want to. That's the true test.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Depending on your budget check out the blackhawk titan. It isn't that big but very comfortable and built like a mack truck. Also you can pick up a Molle II with a brand new frame for under a hundred dollars on ebay. They are tried and true. If they withstand military use it should hold up as a bob bag. Be carefull getting anything over 3000 cubic inches or you may quickly find it to heavy to be practical.

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    im in decent shape. i run 2-3 times per week and kickbox 2-3 times a week as well, however i have no experience trekking through the woods with a 50 pound bag of gear. that is my next step.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    What is your loadout? Do you have your bug out gear all picked out for the most part? Approx how many cubes is it?
    +1 on this. it's a good idea to figure your load out first, then find a bag to match your needs. you may find that you don't need that large of a bag

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    If its to large you will just fill it with **** you don't need.

Agree with above.

Whatever you decide, go out and do some practice hikes with the estimated weight/content, etc. Hitting the trail with a full pack and a SHTF rifle of choice is great practice, but seeing some guy going all commando in the woods with a long gun might stir up trouble. You decide on that one.

Most say 72 hrs of food, water, etc. Toss in a 1000 rnds of your favorite precious metal (lead) and your Go Bag just turned into a Drag Bag.

My guess is that most people would be so pack heavy that after a few miles they would rethink the amount of crap they are toting along.

A military looking gonzo camo backpack will look like....well....a military looking gonzo camo backpack. My point is that sometimes a non-camo joe hiker/tree hugger backpack will do the same job and not draw attention.

The art of survival in a SHTF situation with civilians on super high suspicion alert might best fit in the art of deception category.

Incognito is the word but I like military looking gonzo camo backpacks too.....:rockwoot:

Top Bottom