• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    Hi all, I think this is my first time posting in this forum, but I've enjoyed reading and learning some.

I'm looking for a folding pocket knife, mostly for utility purposes. I found one here [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060D4PXO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com: Tac Force TF-659P Folding Knife, 5-Inch Closed: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] that I like. Yes, I know it has pink on it, and yes, I know it's probably cheap, you get what you pay for, but I still like the way it looks. Anything in a more recommended brand that looks similar to this? I like this blade, and I also like the tanto blades, and I definitely want serrations, unless someone has a good reason to talk me out of it. :dunno:

Thanks!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Not sure if you are a newbie to knives or not and without insulting you I will say I feel you should buy one in person. This will give you the opportunity to handle and fondle it and see just how it opens and closes and operates. At a gun show you will be able to fondle many knives and you can purchase the same name brand as this one for only $10. Who knows you may even find one you like better than this one. :twocents:

Blackjack43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I've never had good experience with off brand knives like that. Some good companies to look at are, sog, cold steel, and spyderco. They are made much better and will last you for decades if taken care of. Take aa look at there offerings and see if you like any. Knives aren't like guns in cot, so you can always get another if you don't like them. Understand that it might take a few to learn your preferences. Good luck

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Hi all, I think this is my first time posting in this forum, but I've enjoyed reading and learning some.

I'm looking for a folding pocket knife, mostly for utility purposes. I found one here Amazon.com: Tac Force TF-659P Folding Knife, 5-Inch Closed: Sports & Outdoors that I like. Yes, I know it has pink on it, and yes, I know it's probably cheap, you get what you pay for, but I still like the way it looks. Anything in a more recommended brand that looks similar to this? I like this blade, and I also like the tanto blades, and I definitely want serrations, unless someone has a good reason to talk me out of it. :dunno:

Thanks!

What's your price range?

Once that's established it will be easier to make suggestions.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's your money, so buy it if it floats your boat. But I would strongly caution you to keep your expectations pretty low. Just my :twocents:, but this style of folding knife is pretty damn hard to beat for $10<:
    Craftsman Folding Utility Knife - Tools - Hand Tools - Utility Knives
    Feel like busting out the fancy pants? How about some wood grain:
    Craftsman Mini Premium Folding Lock-Back Utility Knife - Tools - Hand Tools - Utility Knives
    Any home improvement store will sell something similar, in a variety of colors. If you buy the Craftsman one and it breaks, they'll replace it in store for free. Blade gets dull, open it up and turn it around. That side gets dull, put a new razor in it. Keeping a knife sharp can be tough at first, and serrations blow to sharpen. Also has a pocket clip, so your less likely to loose it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    to the op i like the saying "buy once, cry once", a 9.00 dollar knife is well a 9.00 dollar knife, i would guess cheap, soft steel, dull's easy, but sharpens easy, so if you do buy one i'd but a pocket sharpner and carry it too,

i'd hate to say it, but i'd look for something american, us steel is harder, so it will hold a edge better, but will cost more
    just fyi
    china=soft steel(sharpens easy, dulls easy) cheapest knife
    japan=harder steel(harder to sharpen, longer edge life)more expensive
    american= hard steel(hardest to sharpen, long edge life)most expensive

if your looking for a pink knife, browning makes a few pink ones, yes they are chinese made but they will have a better steel than the one you are looking at(but will cost more)

as for the serations, i hate them! they are hard to sharpen!(see above about the soft steel)i have a few knifes with serations, but i try to use the straight part of the blade, as for the shape of the blade on the one you want, recure style blades are my fav! its not pink and they have been discounted, but i loved the crkt http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRKT...613?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c3029945d
    i had one(without serations) and had to send it back, the assisted opening spring wore out, and they replaced it with a different knife

but if you go to the gunshows, look for brad and sheila, they can help you get a good knife! they are good people!, i talked to them at a show once, just wish i had the money to buy what i was drooling over!

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    With knives you ALWAYS get what you pay for. Knives made in the US or Japan are top notch. Taiwan is really good as well. What you are paying for is quality. Quality steel that is properly heat treated that will hold an edge. Any steel ( high end or low end) can be ruined by a poor heat treat. Also for any folder think of the quality of the lock. If it fails you could have a serious finger injury ( don't want to hurt that trigger finger !!) Cold Steel has a serious lock w/ the triad & I'd rate it as the most durable. Frame locks are second place . It is your $$ so buy what you like. For under $10 you don't have a lot invested if you don't like it. I do agree with others that it's better try handle a few to get a "feel" as to what you like. Let see some pics of what you get.

Top Bottom