Need help identifying a single action revolver! Virginian Dragoon in .44 cal!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Okay...picking up this Virginian Dragoon .44 mag. I have had a few of these over the years...blued and stainless, and usually with longer barrel lengths. My question is this...This one has an "H" prefix serial number, is marked "Virginian Dragoon .44 Magnum" on the barrel and has a barrel length of 4 3/5" (4 5/8). What has me confused is I have never seen a Virginian in this short barrel length in .44 mag (usually in .45 lc) and especially with a non-fluted cylinder. In fact...I have NEVER seen ANY Virginian Dragoon with a non-fluted cylinder in ANY configuration. I am just trying ascertain year of production mainly out of curiosity...and if this is a unique rare find, or some kind of custom at some point. History is unknown by the family but it has been in the same family since new. I can't find a picture or anything on the internet about the non-fluted cylinder EVER being offered?

Any helpful info?

2013-10-16_23_04_55_zps71d629de.jpg

2013-10-16_23_05_08_zps205a149b.jpg

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    From our Italian friends, these revolvers came in many combo's. Here's a good place to do your research Home | Single-Actions

Thanks again..I have found out a lot of information. And actually...these are not Italian at all. They were either German made (early Hammerli's) or made in the USA (Virginia). This one happens to be made in the USA. Not sure if anybody really is interested or not, but these were manufactured to a level of almost 15% more stout than the Ruger Blackhawks which they were created to compete against. The lock up is bank vault tight with some of the closest tolerances I have seen on a single action this side of Freedom Arms. Recessed chambers, crowned barrel, perfectly fit grips, smooth crisp trigger and it weighs a ton with a much larger plowhandle grip than on a Ruger or Italian replica. This is definitely not meant to be a cowboy replica as it is much bigger!! Shoots full grain 44 mag loads like a 44 special all day! I compared this to my Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag...and hands down this has better fit, finish, heft, action, lock-up, and probably accuracy when I get to testing that out. (Although, the sights on the Virginian are fixed and the sights on my BH are adjustable...thus the sight picture on the Ruger is vastly superior!) I like this so much, I might actually send it out to have one of the SA gurus out there add adjustable sights! It would be the perfect packing 44 at that point! Anyway...just wanted to share in case other Virginian Dragoon owners out there did any searching.

I will post up some much better pictures at some point too. The original pictures are not even close to showing how nice and deep the bluing is and the excelelnt condition of this 30+ year old sixgun!

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    People either love or hate em. I still have my 357 Virginian. Excellent point shooter.

I know...I've heard that too from others. That is probably what it'd them in: spotty constancy in production. Those I have owned over the years, including this one have had near perfect finish, fit, and function. I rally have NEVER had a RBH yet with this tight of a lock up and feel this absolute rock solid. And that says a lot because I love may BH's!
    I did get a box of Rem 240 grainers through her and it shot perfectly to point of aim. Just like pointing a finger. Very impressed and could not be more pleased. The heft and size of this Dragoon, even with the shorter barrel really made the 44 mag pleasant...not that I really find the 44 punishing or unpleasant anyway...but there was a noticeable taming of the round it seems.

Anyway...she's a shooter!

Top Bottom