• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    GSG 1911 for a pistol but if she really wants the p22 go for the longer barrel. I got a GSG awhile ago and I love it as the sights are better so is the trigger the reliability its just plain awesome. As far as a rifle Ive only owned 3 22 rifles in my life I had a Glenfield model 60 that was just a turd but was surprisingly accurate when it worked. I had a GSG-5 but it was extremely ammo picky and I dont care much for drum style sights, But I love my Ruger 10/22 I only have 2 complaints about it. The finish on mine is that baked on satin stuff and is flaking off around the magwell and the receiver is made of aluminum and I stripped out the holes for the scope mount :rolleyes: The 10/22 is easier to clean than the previous rifles and accessories its 2nd to none I cant speak for the 795 but Ive heard good and bad but I love my Ruger

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I'll mainly echo and confirm what others have said.

If money is a concern at all go with the Marlin 795. For ~$100 you get a great rifle with swivel studs already in place. $69 more will get you a set of Tech Sights and another $10, or so, will get you a USGI sling. You'll have all the hardware you need to shoot 1" groups at 25 yards, come to an Appleseed and we'll make sure you have the software as well. I don't know how difficult barrel swaps or threading is.

If money is of no concern get the Ruger. They are acceptably accurate and, as you already know, have a huge aftermarket. The Tech Sights for the Ruger have a better mounting design, but if you want to add a sling you'll have to add your own swivel studs. Swapping in a threaded barrel is easy, but will cost you roughly as much as another Marlin 795.

Both are great rifles! Either one is easily capable of 1" groups at 25 yards straight from the box. The 10/22 has a legacy that is hard to beat. But, is that legacy worth twice the price? That's a decision you have to make.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'll mainly echo and confirm what others have said.

If money is a concern at all go with the Marlin 795. For ~$100 you get a great rifle with swivel studs already in place. $69 more will get you a set of Tech Sights and another $10, or so, will get you a USGI sling. You'll have all the hardware you need to shoot 1" groups at 25 yards, come to an Appleseed and we'll make sure you have the software as well. I don't know how difficult barrel swaps or threading is.

About $60 for threading. Barrel is pinned, so not hard to remove at all so long as you have punches and a gun vise.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    About $60 for threading. Barrel is pinned, so not hard to remove at all so long as you have punches and a gun vise.

I have a personal preference for the 795, but it's hard to beat the 10/22 for barrel changes. But it's also hard to beat the math of the 795:
    $100 for the rifle
    $60 for threading
    $40 for a cheap Barska scope
    $10 for a sling
    $10 for sling swivels
    $220 and you have an excellent setup that is capable of silently shooting a rifleman's score. :rockwoot:

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    My nod would be the 1022 for a rifle... and you really can't beat a Ruger MKIII...

My picks: Ruger 10/22 rifle and Ruger 22/45 MK III pistol. The Browning 1911 22 is a better choice than the GSG (though you'll pay about $200 more for the Browning). I just got this MarkIII this weekend:

eu0isi.jpg

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Outback II will fit nicely on both the P22 and 10/22. I love Ruger and I'd look at new semi-automatic pistol, but not until they have a threaded barrel for it. :twocents:

Barrel.jpg

Ruger1022withGemtechOIIangle.jpg

WaltherP22withGemtech.jpg

Since I got the can, I can't find enough hosts to put it on...

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    where can a 795 be picked up for $100? I am seeing nothing of the sort. :(

I know they were that price after a rebate between Thanksgiving and New Years, but I think they're back up to ~$140 now.

I saw a Remington 597 with a scope for $180 at Dick's today.

I've been looking at 10/22's as my first rifle and found a "Distributor Exclusive" that looks pretty cool Ruger® 10/22® Distributor Exclusives Autoloading Rifle Model 1296 Only thing stopping me is I'd also have to buy a scope or red dot before I could shoot it and I don't have a clue about those.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    I'm on board with the Marlins. They're great guns and work beautifully out of the box. $145 is about the normal. They had a $25 mail-in rebate, but that's over now.

As far as the Remington 597 goes, I looked at one of those (Bass Pro had a Black Friday sale), but the salesman warned me about their customer service. He said that the year before, there was a recall on the rifles (a manufacturing defect that made the gun unsafe) and those who sent their rifles back were refunded ~$30.00- what it cost Remington to manufacture the rifle.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Marlin has had the $25 rebate for the last two years solid. The rifles often go on sale for $125-135. My guess is that the rebate will be back soon, but I suppose there is no telling.

Top Bottom