• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marcus850406

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2016
    Camby
    I'm looking to get my wife's grandfathers Remington model 11 reblued for her the gun means a lot to her and I was wondering if you guys can give me some direction on a good gunsmith to go to?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.
    There area several choices in your area, but unfortunately I'm not from there so I don't know them.
    Stick around, or check back.

BTW-Welcome to :ingo:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The one person I know in Indiana that does a hell of a job is about 4 months back for taking in work last time I talked to him.

You'd have to ship it off but maybe Williams sights? Along with fiber optic and iron sights they offer gunsmithing services

1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    If you are handy at all, try Van's cold bluing solution. It takes some amount of prep by cleaning, using very fine (000) steel wool, and more cleaning. The end result I've had may not look like factory blue, but it is very, very, very presentable.

There are several YouTube video's for the DYI handyman.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Bluing is a process. Putting cold blue on a firearm, unless it is a small, small area, is highly discouraged. Prep work is the key, and the expensive part, when it comes to truly bluing a firearm. Any imperfections in the metal will be multiplied when blued.

Personal opinion, if it means anything to you, don't screw it up by using cold blue.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'll have to second Squirt's advice.
    As a suggestion, maybe you could use Cerakote.
    I'm not very educated about how closely you can get Cerakote jobs to approximating standard hotbath bluing, but if you can get it looking like it, I've been told that it's quite a bit more durable.
    It's certainly nowhere near as involved a process to apply, and there are quite a few more people out there applying it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Grell's Gunsmithing Inc2220 East 1400 North
    Attica, IN 47918 - View Map

Phone: (765) 572-2207
    I am pretty sure this guy does bluing. I know people that have had him repair firearms, but cannot remember if any were reblued. He is an old guy so the Model 11 would be right up his alley.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I'll have to second Squirt's advice.
    As a suggestion, maybe you could use Cerakote.
    I'm not very educated about how closely you can get Cerakote jobs to approximating standard hotbath bluing, but if you can get it looking like it, I've been told that it's quite a bit more durable.
    It's certainly nowhere near as involved a process to apply, and there are quite a few more people out there applying it.

Cerakote in a gloss black is possible. But, nothing compares to bluing IMO. I've done both for customers at their request. Too, I've talked people OUT of bluing a firearm because it wasn't worth the cost. If it's sentimental, and you want it done right, spend the money and have it blued. But don't be surprised when the price tag is as much or more than the worth of the firearm.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Then again, leave it alone and keep the memories intact. Clean it up and oil it up good.
    Somehow it seems like redoing a gun wipes away the sentimental value. Just me.
    Dad died about 9 years ago. I haven't redone any of his old hunters. I took them all apart and cleaned them up.
    There's lots of memories and miles walked in those old guns.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Then again, leave it alone and keep the memories intact. Clean it up and oil it up good.
    Somehow it seems like redoing a gun wipes away the sentimental value. Just me.
    Dad died about 9 years ago. I haven't redone any of his old hunters. I took them all apart and cleaned them up.
    There's lots of memories and miles walked in those old guns.

^^^I completely agree with this, if it were MY gun. However, not my gun, not my decision^^^

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Cerakote in a gloss black is possible. But, nothing compares to bluing IMO. I've done both for customers at their request. Too, I've talked people OUT of bluing a firearm because it wasn't worth the cost. If it's sentimental, and you want it done right, spend the money and have it blued. But don't be surprised when the price tag is as much or more than the worth of the firearm.

Thanks for the technical details of what gloss black Cerakote looks like.
    I'm be willing to be that there would be a very eager market for a new formulation/application technique for Cerakote that was totally indistinguishable from hotbath bluing, though.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    If you're willing to consider Cerakote over traditional blueing, here is a thread where AllenM of Diamond Collision did a Ruger in "midnight blue", which I think is closer to a S&W blued look vs. something so dark it looks black...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...er-security-six-transformation-pic-heavy.html

If Birds Aways sees this post, he had one of his CZ pistols done in midnight blue (or was it SOCOM blue?), and it turned out absolutely gorgeous, especially with the wood grip panel inserts.

Edit: found the pic of the CZ, and the color is Midnight Blue. This turned out stunning, I think, and this pic shows the subtle blue sheen a bit better than the Ruger thread above:

cz%20852_zpsk48nm0uc.jpg

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you're willing to consider Cerakote over traditional blueing, here is a thread where AllenM of Diamond Collision did a Ruger in "midnight blue", which I think is closer to a S&W blued look vs. something so dark it looks black...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...er-security-six-transformation-pic-heavy.html

If Birds Aways sees this post, he had one of his CZ pistols done in midnight blue (or was it SOCOM blue?), and it turned out absolutely gorgeous, especially with the wood grip panel inserts.

Edit: found the pic of the CZ, and the color is Midnight Blue. This turned out stunning, I think, and this pic shows the subtle blue sheen a bit better than the Ruger thread above:

cz%20852_zpsk48nm0uc.jpg

Wow!
    I bet the old Master Chief is just about as pleased with that job as he could be.
    I'd call that Cerakote job certainly good enough for all the most particular person.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Wow!
    I bet the old Master Chief is just about as pleased with that job as he could be.
    I'd call that Cerakote job certainly good enough for all the most particular person.

Yes, it sure did turn out, didn't it?!? At some point, rather than get my shooter-grade S&W Model 19 reblued, I'll be hitting up AllenM to go this same direction. I think it has a deep, rich-looking finish, with a nice hint of blue luster to make it a very nice combination with rosewood grips.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    I tried cold bluing a shot gun and turned out ok for my first try. However, if wanting as a memorable piece I'd suggest getting someone professional to do it.

Top Bottom