• ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Hey INGO friends...

As some of you know, the house that we rent out was severely damaged by a tree that fell on it during storms a couple of weeks ago. The damage is substantial (likely greater than $100,000).

The insurance company seems to be doing a good job, but I could use any help or suggestions on how to deal with an insurance company and a contractor during a major rebuilding process.

I've never been through this process before and I want to make sure I handle things in the best way possible.

Thanks in advance folks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wish I could help you out, man. I was in Evanstucky last Tues/Wed and couldn't believe how much more damage was around than here in the Indy area (and we got slammed here, too!)

I HOPE that you're not dealing with Allstate insurance, though...

-J-

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    :twocents:Perhaps I can help. I retired last year from GAB Robins an independent claims company.
    I worked all types of claims for over 20 years and have an associate in claim designation.
    I can not represent you but send me a pm with your contact info and I'll call to talk about your concerns.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I wish I could help you out, man. I was in Evanstucky last Tues/Wed and couldn't believe how much more damage was around than here in the Indy area (and we got slammed here, too!)

I HOPE that you're not dealing with Allstate insurance, though...

-J-

Ruh Roh... What's wrong with AllState?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hey INGO friends...

As some of you know, the house that we rent out was severely damaged by a tree that fell on it during storms a couple of weeks ago. The damage is substantial (likely greater than $100,000).

The insurance company seems to be doing a good job, but I could use any help or suggestions on how to deal with an insurance company and a contractor during a major rebuilding process.

I've never been through this process before and I want to make sure I handle things in the best way possible.

Thanks in advance folks.

Document EVERYTHING.
    Don't take ANY ONE'S word for ANYTHING.
    ASSUME every one is lying.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Document EVERYTHING.

^^^^^
    This with these exceptions, Assume they are all lying all the way up the food chain and everyone you are dealing with is out to screw you and is a blundering idiot.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Document EVERYTHING.
    QFT
    I don't know what your deductible is, but you should talk to the adjuster and the contractor about working it off. I had a similar situation last year with my parents house. We were able to do some of the work, hauling out debris, moving furniture, cleaning, boxing personal effects, ect, and apply that work against their bill. The insurance allowed us all most $15.00/hour. We saved them about $1400. Also find out now exactly what is and is not covered and for what amount. Their insurance paid to remove the tree from the house completely, but removing it from the property was covered only up to a set limit under debris removal. They also would not pay to have the damaged but still standing part of the tree removed. They paid to completely redo the lawn, but wouldn't pay to remove the stump.

I would also require them to have an inspection performed by an engineer. That way you have an independent report of needs to be done and how. In my case there were several roof trusses that were damaged. The engineer's report spelled out which ones had to be replaced and which one could be repaired, and how. That report will keep everyone honest and not let them cut corners where they shouldn't.

Top Bottom