• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Normal socks are not cutting it anymore for winter time. I need some boot socks that are comfortable and warm. Anyone have some good recommendations?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Smart Wool

This is my go to for hunting and camping in the fall/winter. I wear a thin pair of dress socks (nylon) if I know I will be sweating a lot. The nylon absorbs the moister to keep blisters away, but the smart wool i very very nice.

Price is a bit steep, I actually got as a gift, but by far the best socks I own.

You can find much better prices on EBAY

smart wool items - Get great deals on Socks items on eBay.com!

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    +1 Smart Wool
    Well worth the money and they last forever. I have several pairs for different activities.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Agreed

+ a million on Smart wool, wear them year round, a liner sock then an over sock, worth every penny, on like, Dick's, Gander have them.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Hey man I work at BearHardware in Nashville and we have these socks made from alpaca wool and they are awesome, plus they are made from locally raised alpaca. I am not sure what they run I think somewhere around 20 dollars but everyone who has bought some sings their praises. Not trying to plug my work but the socks are really good.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Under Armour!!!

I can vouch for both their HeatGear Series of OTC Boot Socks and their Cold Gear Socks. Money well spent! I have worn them from the extremes of the Alps in Austria during to the Plains of Iraq and into the Hindu Kush Mountains of Afghanistan. THe are Great!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    smart wool is awesome. if you have a sams club or costco they a version that is actually very nice. 3 pair for 9 bucks and i am not sure you can do better than that. i have some that i wear daily for the past 2 years and they are still good to go

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    heres a tip for the frugally minded that don't skimp on quality. buy from T.J. maxx! I buy all my socks from them at at least half off retail. they have all the high end outdoor brands. I have bought north face, merrell, cabot & sons, salomon, etc. I just bought a few pairs of "darn tough" socks and man, they are incredible! and at $10 a pair vs. $20+ retail. so do yourselves a favor guys and get more for your money.

Darn Tough Vermont: Running Socks, Biking Socks, Hiking Socks, Trekking Socks, Ski Socks, Snowboard Socks, Hunting Socks, Fishing Socks, Birding Socks

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I also use Smartwool over the calf hunting socks. My feet get horribly cold and last year with basspro wool socks I couldnt hardly make it. This year with Smartwools and a liner I haven't been cold in the least.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    heres a tip for the frugally minded that don't skimp on quality. buy from T.J. maxx! I buy all my socks from them at at least half off retail. they have all the high end outdoor brands. I have bought north face, merrell, cabot & sons, salomon, etc. I just bought a few pairs of "darn tough" socks and man, they are incredible! and at $10 a pair vs. $20+ retail. so do yourselves a favor guys and get more for your money.

Darn Tough Vermont: Running Socks, Biking Socks, Hiking Socks, Trekking Socks, Ski Socks, Snowboard Socks, Hunting Socks, Fishing Socks, Birding Socks

Thanks for the heads up. I'll run in there some weekend and check out what they have.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'll back smartwool all the way, but for something really nice and thick go to bass pro shops and they have a redhead winter boot sock, USA made and warranteed for life, if it ever wears out u can get a replacement, and they're only like 8 bucks plus they are comfortable as hell

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Smart wool Mountaineering socks... However, wearing a thin poly liner under them helps to Wick moisture away when things heat up, while walking or hiking. Liners help to keep your feet warmer when the activity goes back down.

Thorlos are good too...

Definetly wool though... They are expensive, but mine have outlasted alot of my standard cottons.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    +1 for smart wool

Cabela's occasionally has some on sale in the bargain cave. And thanx for the heads up on TJ Maxx. Thorlos have always intrigued me but I've been too cheap to buy a pair. And a big plus 1 on wearing a wicking liner when its really cold. makes a big difference.:yesway:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If wool isn't your thing................. Snap-On sells very high quality socks produced by ECO hosiery in TN I think. The only USA manufacturer of socks left. They make the socks for the NFL. I wear them 24/7, they are stupid durable and very comfortable. at @ 6 bucks a pair they are priceless.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Smart wool hikers socks med-heavy weight. I work in boots all day, sweat and walk miles a day. I used get blisters all the time I am talking about three plus a week. Bought smart wool socks never another problem. I love them so much that I dont even wear any other sock anymore. Plus wife makes fun of me and says that I don't ever take them off, even to shower... That may or may not be true...

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Look for a brand named DURABILT, they are American made and all I wear anymore. They make both normal white socks and the outdoorsman type. I have given a pair to a couple of buddies and they swear by them as well. I wear boots 90% of the time, steel toed.. I love these socks, they have a bit of support to them and are really comfortable..

They are made by Pickett Hosiery Mills, Inc from Burlington, N.C. check out Pickett Hosiery Mills, Inc for details.. Well scratch that they are rebuilding their site and I forgot to mention they make the military socks..

Top Bottom