• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I plan on posting this on fb and sending it as a letter to the editor of a few newspapers need some help from our more educated members on punctuation and spelling, and pointers on sentence structure if I screwed up.

Something to think about by Joseph
    I am hearing new talk about a ban on sporting rifles and regular capacity magazines, I understand that we as a nation are all hurting over this tragedy. I do not claim to have the answer and I am not opposed to mandatory wait times, rules on keeping them stored a certain way when I'm not home to help prevent someone unlawfully gaining access to them, i am not opposed to making it mandatory for all prospective firearm buyers to go though a 4473 form. I do think something has to be done to limit access to unstable people. I have kept pretty silent thus far but I had a thought today that helped me put this is prospective so bare with me for a moment. I am not a hunter, I am not a right wing conservative that hates our president, I am not a sporting shooter 'although I enjoy it doing it from time to time with friends' I own firearms with magazines ranging from 4 to 40 rounds. I believe in my right to keep them and for anyone else that is law abiding and not medically prohibited to do the same.
    Some make the argument, 'I just don't understand why you need something like that' they shake their heads and judge me, they look at me as if I am a psychopath gun nut and must be so utterly insane for even considering owning such an evil GUN like that, just owning it will make me want to go on a rampage and kill people, because why else would someone want something like that? then they get in their car and go down the road and leave scared to death of the crazy man. The road they drive on will have had more people killed on it than the amount of people that this area will see that was killed by a firearm. They may be into cars that are 'modified' they may have nitro injection that makes their very nice ride very fast and no one would ever think to make that illegal. They are more likely to break the law by speeding thus putting my life and those of anyone else on that road in danger than I am to ever have to present a firearm in self defense. Yet I am the crazy one, may I ask this, if the law throughout the land says a car may not exceed 70mph on any road in this country except in a few states, why do you 'need' something that goes faster than the law allows? Why do you need the ability to put numerous lives in danger just because you enjoy having something that you may take to a track and really smash that pedal down to see what it's got? you may have the common sense and enough love for your fellow man not to ever put them into that kind of danger, that is all irrelevant though, because a select few will knowingly break the law and end up killing 1 or more people and usually themselves in a wreck we must now pass new laws that limit your ability lawful or not to own and take your street rod, muscle car, modified ricer, or beastly truck to a track under controlled and relatively safe conditions because a select few break the law and kill people. How many fatalities were caused by excessive speed on our roads last year in which someone was speeding and thus breaking the law killing1 or more people in a wreck? Why do they need something that goes more than 70mph? Should we now pass a law that regulates them to 70mph and not a bit faster? Why do they need a v8 motor? Even though the vast majority of people that have cars that are capable of going 100+mph are law abiding and drive the speed limit should we out law these grossly over powered vehicles because we fear what someone may do with it? If your answer is no then why is it ok to do the exact same thing to law abiding and responsible citizens that own sporting rifles, or handguns with magazines capable of having more than 10 rounds in them? Just because your hobby is something else does not give you more rights than me because I have the previously mentioned firearms, because in fact those are PROTECTED BY OUR CONSTITUTION AND THAT RIGHT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, your right to a fast car that is more likely to kill someone than my rifle is not protected by the constitution, given it was drafted before motor vehicles but it could be amended if we thought it necessary to make it a right.
    I may have a different hobby than these and yes my hobby is dangerous but is it any different than the previously mentioned persons? You may think it is and that opinion of yours is covered under the same paper my right to own firearms is. I understand that wrecks are accidents and not murder but does that make the tragedy easier to bare for those that just lost a loved one? I doubt it and I imagine they look at the person driving the car for their unbearable loss not the car itself.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I plan on posting this on fb and sending it as a letter to the editor of a few newspapers need some help from our more educated members on punctuation and spelling, and pointers on sentence structure if I screwed up.

I am hearing new talk about a ban on sporting rifles and regular capacity magazines, I understand that we as a nation are all hurting over this tragedy. I do not claim to have the answer and I am not opposed to mandatory wait times, rules on keeping them stored a certain way when I'm not home to help prevent someone unlawfully gaining access to them, i am not opposed to making it mandatory for all prospective firearm buyers to go though a 4473 form. I do think something has to be done to limit access to unstable people. I have kept pretty silent thus far but I had a thought today that helped me put this is prospective so bare with me for a moment. I am not a hunter, I am not a right wing conservative that hates our president, I am not a sporting shooter 'although I enjoy it doing it from time to time with friends' I own firearms with magazines ranging from 4 to 40 rounds. I believe in my right to keep them and for anyone else that is law abiding and not medically prohibited to do the same.
    Some make the argument, 'I just don't understand why you need something like that' they shake their heads and judge me, they look at me as if I am a psychopath gun nut and must be so utterly insane for even considering owning such an evil GUN like that, just owning it will make me want to go on a rampage and kill people, because why else would someone want something like that? then they get in their car and go down the road and leave scared to death of the crazy man. The road they drive on will have had more people killed on it than the amount of people that this area will see that was killed by a firearm. They may be into cars that are 'modified' they may have nitro injection that makes their very nice ride very fast and no one would ever think to make that illegal. They are more likely to break the law by speeding thus putting my life and those of anyone else on that road in danger than I am to ever have to present a firearm in self defense. Yet I am the crazy one, may I ask this, if the law throughout the land says a car may not exceed 70mph on any road in this country except in a few states, why do you 'need' something that goes faster than the law allows? Why do you need the ability to put numerous lives in danger just because you enjoy having something that you may take to a track and really smash that pedal down to see what it's got? you may have the common sense and enough love for your fellow man not to ever put them into that kind of danger, that is all irrelevant though, because a select few will knowingly break the law and end up killing 1 or more people and usually themselves in a wreck we must now pass new laws that limit your ability lawful or not to own and take your street rod, muscle car, modified ricer, or beastly truck to a track under controlled and relatively safe conditions because a select few break the law and kill people. How many fatalities were caused by excessive speed on our roads last year in which someone was speeding and thus breaking the law killing1 or more people in a wreck? Why do they need something that goes more than 70mph? Should we now pass a law that regulates them to 70mph and not a bit faster? Why do they need a v8 motor? Even though the vast majority of people that have cars that are capable of going 100+mph are law abiding and drive the speed limit should we out law these grossly over powered vehicles because we fear what someone may do with it? If your answer is no then why is it ok to do the exact same thing to law abiding and responsible citizens that own sporting rifles, or handguns with magazines capable of having more than 10 rounds in them? Just because your hobby is something else does not give you more rights than me because I have the previously mentioned firearms, because in fact those are PROTECTED BY OUR CONSTITUTION AND THAT RIGHT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, your right to a fast car that is more likely to kill someone than my rifle is not protected by the constitution, given it was drafted before motor vehicles but it could be amended if we thought it necessary to make it a right.
    I may have a different hobby than these and yes my hobby is dangerous but is it any different than the previously mentioned persons? You may think it is and that opinion of yours is covered under the same paper my right to own firearms is. I understand that wrecks are accidents and not murder but does that make the tragedy easier to bare for those that just lost a loved one? I doubt it and I imagine they look at the person driving the car for their unbearable loss not the car itself.

Didn't read it, wall of text. If your serious, start with paragraphs.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Couldn't read. I got to the part where you want to make everyone go through a 4473. And something HAS to be done! Please, look at the facts. Criminals don't go to a local gunstore to buy a gun and use it in a crime. With 250-300 million+ firearms in circulation a few are bound to get in the wrong hands.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I am hearing new talk about a ban on sporting rifles and regular capacity magazines, I understand that we as a nation are all hurting over this tragedy.

I do not claim to have the answer and I am not opposed to mandatory wait times, rules on keeping them stored a certain way when I'm not home to help prevent someone unlawfully gaining access to them, i am not opposed to making it mandatory for all prospective firearm buyers to go though a 4473 form. I do think something has to be done to limit access to unstable people.
    I have kept pretty silent thus far but I had a thought today that helped me put this is prospective so bare with me for a moment.

I am not a hunter, I am not a right wing conservative that hates our president, I am not a sporting shooter 'although I enjoy it doing it from time to time with friends' I own firearms with magazines ranging from 4 to 40 rounds. I believe in my right to keep them and for anyone else that is law abiding and not medically prohibited to do the same.

Some make the argument, 'I just don't understand why you need something like that' they shake their heads and judge me, they look at me as if I am a psychopath gun nut and must be so utterly insane for even considering owning such an evil GUN like that, just owning it will make me want to go on a rampage and kill people, because why else would someone want something like that? then they get in their car and go down the road and leave scared to death of the crazy man.

The road they drive on will have had more people killed on it than the amount of people that this area will see that was killed by a firearm. They may be into cars that are 'modified' they may have nitro injection that makes their very nice ride very fast and no one would ever think to make that illegal.

They are more likely to break the law by speeding thus putting my life and those of anyone else on that road in danger than I am to ever have to present a firearm in self defense. Yet I am the crazy one.

may I ask this, if the law throughout the land says a car may not exceed 70mph on any road in this country except in a few states, why do you 'need' something that goes faster than the law allows? Why do you need the ability to put numerous lives in danger just because you enjoy having something that you may take to a track and really smash that pedal down to see what it's got? you may have the common sense and enough love for your fellow man not to ever put them into that kind of danger, that is all irrelevant though, because a select few will knowingly break the law and end up killing one or more people and usually themselves in a wreck.

we must now pass new laws that limit your ability lawful or not, to own and take your street rod, muscle car, modified ricer, or beastly truck to a track under controlled and relatively safe conditions because a select few break the law and kill people.

How many fatalities were caused by excessive speed on our roads last year in which someone was speeding and thus breaking the law killing1 or more people in a wreck? Why do they need something that goes more than 70mph? Should we now pass a law that regulates them to 70mph and not a bit faster? Why do they need a v8 motor?

Even though the vast majority of people that have cars that are capable of going 100+mph are law abiding and drive the speed limit should we out law these grossly over powered vehicles because we fear what someone may do with it?

If your answer is no then why is it ok to do the exact same thing to law abiding and responsible citizens that own sporting rifles, or handguns with magazines capable of having more than 10 rounds in them?

Just because your hobby is something else does not give you more rights than me because I have the previously mentioned firearms, because in fact the firearms are PROTECTED BY OUR CONSTITUTION AND THAT RIGHT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED,

your right to a fast car is far more likely to kill someone than the rifle i have locked in a safe and this same vehicle is not protected by the constitution, yet my rifle is. it can be argued that the constitution was drafted before motor vehicles but it could be amended if we thought it necessary to make it a right.

I may have a different hobby than someone with a fast vehicle and yes my hobby can be dangerous without knowing proper safety but is it any different than the previously mentioned persons?

You may think it is and that opinion of yours is covered under the same paper that covers my firearms.

I understand that wrecks are accidents and not murder but does that make the tragedy easier to bare for those that just lost a loved one? I doubt it and I imagine they look to the irresponsible person driving the car for their unbearable loss not the car itself.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    Couldn't read. I got to the part where you want to make everyone go through a 4473. And something HAS to be done! Please, look at the facts. Criminals don't go to a local gunstore to buy a gun and use it in a crime. With 250-300 million+ firearms in circulation a few are bound to get in the wrong hands.

I understand this and do not disagree with you, but I would be very surprised if no new legislation gets passed, compromises will probably have to be made. Despite our truthful argument that criminals do not abide by the law chances of that argument keeping new legislation from being passed is pretty low IMO. I do not want any new firearm legislation period, but just listed the changes I would not mind having to go through.
    You may think that nothing new will get passed and I hope to god you are right but I feel like there is a strong chance you will be wrong.
    These are IMHO just some changes I could deal with.

I just hope I'm wrong and if concessions have to be made these are ones I feel would not affect us as much as a out right ban.

Side note I know a few men that are not dealers but work at gun shows and sell privately that go to the crown point show and sell to whoever they wish, and I have seen some of these men dressed a certain way with particular colored hankies hanging from there pants that are around there knees. This is not unlawful that I am away of but it does not make it right.

This is how I formed my opinion on aft4473.

You and I know that the so called gun show loophole is a joke because the vast majority of firearms sold at them do go through this process but there are always a few that may skirt the law and they give the whole process a bad name.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I tried reading it three times, but it's boring and fails to make a quick, concise point. I would trash it. I doubt any editors will publish that. And if they do, they will gut it how they see fit, which will likely paint gun owners in a negative light.

Top Bottom