• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    so we want to replace the carpet in our house the high traffic walk ways are done.... worn and dont look good any more.

what am i in for realistically $ per square foot we probably have about 1000 sqf to do. I dont want/need anything expensive just something quality our plan is to sell the house in about 2-3 years. but we would like to get some use out of the carpet instead of installing it just before we were to sell.

also does any one have any recomendation south side indy / greenwood to buy/ install.

thanks

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Looking between $1.50-$3.00/sq ft. My flooring guy told me its best to purchase the carpet from a big box retailer as they buy in bulk (thus cheaper) and hire someone to install it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy Millikan commercial grade carpet. I put it in the basement of the old house and it still looked as good as installed 20 years later when I sold it. It was the only carpet we used in the new one.:)

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    My recommendation-compare pricing with some carpet wholesalers based out of Dalton, GA with the local stores once you have selected the carpet you'll like. What you'll notice is the lines you'll find at Lowes/Home Depot vary in names/color numbers and such from what the "traditional" carpet stores will have. The place I've used the last two times is Discount Carpet, Hardwood Flooring, Laminate Flooring, Vinyl Flooring, Area Rugs | Beckler's Carpet. I had 200 yards of carpet and 185 yards of pad delivered for $180 I believe, so it's pretty easy to offset the sales tax for that.

I went with very expensive carpet-$22.99/yard from them to be exact. Same carpet from the local store was $10+/yard more. I found an installer off Angies List who did a pretty good job for under $1k over the course of 2 days (including 2 stairs, moving all furniture, etc). In my case, the local store offering a "discount" quoted me the job to be just under $10k. My route saved me over $3500.

Bottom line-you can do much better from any place you'll find locally.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    R&R Products
    Showroom location. 407 North County Road 200 E, Danville, IN 46122
    (317) 745-5794 Ask for Jeff or Reece tell them what you want and they will give you a price, materials, pad, labor installed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't tell you who to use, but I can tell you who NOT to use. Empire. They are awful.

I've never used them, but we did have them come give us an estimate on laminate for our family room. Their prices were sky high. When they advertise those "buy one room, get two free" specials, they don't tell you that their charge for the one room is more than it should cost for 4 rooms! High pressure salesmen too. :noway:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Question: If I want to have the carpet in my whole house replaced, what do they do about the furniture? Do they move it? Do I stage the rooms first? Are there cost considerations about furniture?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hate to hijack, but if anyone knows anyone in the Porter County area who can re-stretch carpets (and someone else to steam clean them), I'm going to need that in about a month.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Question: If I want to have the carpet in my whole house replaced, what do they do about the furniture? Do they move it? Do I stage the rooms first? Are there cost considerations about furniture?

My buddy who installs carpet usually charges a fee to move furniture. He has special hoists he uses. They don't charge much though. You can move stuff out of a room or two..then he installs them, puts furniture back and continues on. Or you can move it on your own...like into a garage or driveway.

Top Bottom