• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I recently announced that I'll be going to Western PA for a deer hunting weekend with my son this year. I have never hunted deer and don't have a deer rifle. In Pa they can use rifles and rifle rounds but no semi Automatics, bolts, levers and pumps are ok.
    No the question. I am operating on a retirement budget so need to be conservative but I want to have a decent rifle in hand and be familiarized with it and have it zeroed in by Thanksgiving.
    I am completely open to the suggestions of you folks who are way more experienced that I,,
    :dunno:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Do you know what type of land you will be hunting on or the typical shot length. I know back home in Maine we could be brush hunting or powerline huntin and they would be totally different guns. One I would use my .357 mag lever, for power lines my dad bought me a .280, so it does make a difference. Also for longer range you will need optics too which will add cost.

Probably either a .308 or a 7mm or the above mentioned .270 or .280, as far as models go Ruger M77, Winchester 70, Remington 700

Last edited:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I hunt western PA every year and the longest shot that I had was a 100 yards. This is because of a combination of the terrain and the vegetation. I have used a 30-30 and a .308. My in-laws that I hunt with use either a .243, .270, or a 30-06. My wife's nephew who is now 12yo uses a single shot .243 and got his first buck last year.

Because of the antler restrictions, I would suggest adding a scope.

Not sure what your budget is but you can usually find an a scoped remington for approx $400 at Dick's or Gander. You should also be able to find a scoped marlin in a 30-30 for approx the same amount.

Gander has a Remington 770 series for $319-$349 with a scope. There are also some single shots with scopes under $400.

Good Luck. Take some pics and post them, even if you do not get a trophy

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Right now gander has a Remington 700ADL with 3-9x40 scope package for $379.99 after $50 mail in rebate. They have it in your choice of caliber (30-06, .270, .243, .308, 7mm, or .243wssm).

They also have a savage axis without scope for $279.99

They have a Rossi single shot .243 with scope for $249.99

Or a Rossi lever action 30-30 for $379.99.

Any of those are good guns for the money.

Piece of advice, stay away from the Remington 770. It is junk, the 700 is a great gun, but 770 stinks.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Do you think it would be worth his time to head to a gunshop in KY to find a good used rifle? I was thinking you might get a better selection down there since they can hunt with them.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    He could and MAY find one less expensive but the Rem 700 ADL that was mentioned above is the way to go, in any of the calibers mentioned. Why drive 3 hrs round trip, approx 220+ miles in hope that there may be a better selection or a better price. It will cost him atleast $30 just in gas but probably more like $50.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id go 308 in either a savage or 700. anything between 243 and 308 will work fine, i would recomend short action. you dont need the recoil of a magnum caliber

either will suit you fine. also optics will be more important than the rifle. you can get a quality scope for your use for 100ish bucks. stick with the simmons whitetail classic or bushnell banner. stear clear of target knobs because you dont need them and if you are getting target knobs in a 100 dollar scope the scope is probably junk and the knobs wont work properly anyways. thats why you can get away with a cheaper optic on a hunting rifle because you dont need repeatability. you just need it to get sighted in and hold zero wich the simmons or banner will do

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I would probably go with the tried and true 30-06, and if you would like to shoot one, feel free to pm me. I am located in the Daleville/Muncie area, so I dont think its really to far away.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Think you might ever want to hunt in Indiana or just PA when you go visit? Since you said you were on a budget you might want to think about that. If you want to hunt Indiana one day then maybe you look into a single shot .44 mag or 20 gauge H&R slig hunter. You could also pick up a used pump shotgun. I have seen some good deals lately at pawn shops. If you decide to get a bolt...a budget Savage like the axis or the synthetic stock hunter model is hard to beat. I like the .308 myself.

Top Bottom